+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Annual leave next year...WWYD?

Hmmm well 2012 seems to be flying and last night DP said she needs to submit when she wants to take her annual leave next year as it has to be approved. It's not allowed to be over the big holidays (Christmas/New Year/Easter etc).

So we were trying to figure it out and then I realised that hopefully we'll be having a baby next year. We want to try in Dec/Jan so would end up with a September or October baby if we were lucky enough to fall first go (will be going through a clinic and will be trying successively each month (IUI) for 3 months and go to IVF if that doesn't work).

So would you:

a) Take off 4 weeks in October and hope you fall first go so DP will have paid leave during the first month or so of baby's life or will get to hang out with her pregnant partner if nothing else?
    b) Take off 4 weeks in November so if it doesn't happen first go but happens 2nd go she may still get some time with a new baby? Or she'll get to spend some time with her pregnant partner if nothing else?
    c) Not base it around a baby that may or may not eventuate and take it sometime else, like the middle of the year to break it up a bit?

TIA!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can she organise leave when/if you fall pregnant? Surely there must be some special circumstances that would allow her to organise leave with 9 months notice rather than a year or more?

It's a tough call for sure...I personally would be organising leave around the time you would be hoping to deliver, so she can be there to support you and enjoy those early weeks with bubs. Perhaps if you don't fall pregnant first go she can bump the leave back a bit?

Good luck...as tricky as it is to organise, it's very exciting to think you may have a little one next year!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    will she be entitled to the unpaid leave that fathers can get?

maybe plan a nice holiday together before the baby comes, if she can also take parental leave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh wow, she has to apply this early? What happens if she applies for leave and then the baby isn't due around that time - will she still get any form of parental/personal leave?

Personally, I'd apply when it's NOT school holidays.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    Can she organise leave when/if you fall pregnant? Surely there must be some special circumstances that would allow her to organise leave with 9 months notice rather than a year or more?

It's a tough call for sure...I personally would be organising leave around the time you would be hoping to deliver, so she can be there to support you and enjoy those early weeks with bubs. Perhaps if you don't fall pregnant first go she can bump the leave back a bit?

Good luck...as tricky as it is to organise, it's very exciting to think you may have a little one next year!
    Hoping that they'll be flexible but they're a bit notorious for...well, not being flexible. Especially since she's still new and all her superiors will get first dibs.

But yes, she may be able to get time off anyway (since she's been told to have it in by end of June) but we thought taking the approx. time off might be the safest option? In case they aren't flexible at the time. Hopefully they will be though, there must be some kind of leave scheme for when partner's have a baby, it's a government job after all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what the 'paternity but not' leave situation is. I'd assume after 12 months in the job she'll be eligible?

I've no blardy idea. I figure even if we don't have a baby but I'm heavily pregnant at least she can help me organise Christmas and maybe we can just have a nice week away somewhere local anyway? Our last hurrah as a couple?

It sucks being the lowest ranked one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure if it's passed yet but there was a scheme for leave for partners (4-6 weeks can't remember which) on minimum wage. I'd see if she's eligible for that and when/if it comes into effect.

If she'd be eligible for it, I'd plan for whenever she wants to go on hols, maybe mid year.

If that leave wouldn't apply, I'd aim for Nov in hope that a bubba will be on the way. JMO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your DP is a policewoman from memory? I think she has the option of unpaid parental leave also
    Maybe she could take the last half of October, the first half of November? She can always apply to change it once you are UTD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanna start by saying I wish for nothing but success with your attempts for a baby and hope it does happen quickly for you both

BUT I would not base any of the leave on a baby that is not yet conceived - you don't want the leave to end up being a reminder of when 'baby would have been born' if things don't work out exactly as you wanted iykwim?

I am certain once your baby arrives your DP will be able to get some paternity leave

Try not to stress to much, think of the leave as just a break from work not time off for a baby

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she have to take it in a 4 week block? Perhaps make it 2 2 week blocks with a month in between? Then worst comes to worst she could maybe take a couple of unpaid weeks if bub is born in between

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post: