+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used to be with NIB but they messed us around so much, and then even though we were covered for pregnancy, obstetrics, etc, they wouldn't cover us for any of the investigations DH had & weren't going to cover us for IVF. (we had asked to be moved to top family cover in advance of getting married, so they moved us to the wrong level and then messed us around because of their own mistake!) We also discovered, when I had some surgery, that even though I was covered, the amount they pay back is dismal. All the medical receptionists and people who deal with billing all told me NIB is well known to be pretty much the worst of them all in terms of what they pay back on hospital stuff. They pay well for extras, but are appalling for hospital cover.

We changed to GMHBA late last year, fully expecting to have to wait 12 months for the IVF cover, as we didn't already have it & that is their rule. To our surprise, they made an executive decision to waive that & cover us when we did our cycle in Mar/April. I rang when we were starting the cycle, with the item numbers, just to check if we were covered. She went away for a little chat with her manager & rang me back to say, because we'd been so messed around by our previous fund, they had decided to give us that cover early. How very nice! So they covered all my day surgery fees for my EPU and ET (I just paid $125 excess each time, and that is now the max for the year so nothing to pay next time), and for DH's microdissection, as well as part of the anaesthetist for both of us, and part of DH's actual surgeon's fee.

And you don't get given the run-around or wrong information when you speak to people there. I can't recommend them highly enough, although they're a bit slow to pay. Had to ring up & chase the claim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    stormgirl- It sounds as though you may have had someone a little inexperienced as to discriminate on age is contra to community rating legislation.
    Reproductive services has it's own category for waits, and within medibank it is 12months.
    Please double check that the quote they gave you included Lifetime Health Cover loading. You're going to have 14 or 16% loading depending on your actual birth date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peonies Nib stuffed me around as well, I wanted to start a family before I took the cover out a few years ago. They put me on basic plus, I didn't realise and now we don't have ivf or obstetrics. It's half my fault I didn't check but I told them what I needed. We are still with them as they quoted me to up the cover and it's double the price now plus the 12 month wait again

Oh and they were so generous to give me $17 dollars back on the bed fee for transfer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am with HCF, top cover plus. It was a 12 month waiting period for IVF cover. They pay for both EPU and ET - no out of pockets. Plus I had 2 lots of investigative surgery's in a private hospital all with my FS and never paid a cent for them either. Sounds like I might be getting a pretty good deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im with HCF and they have been great.
    no excess fee on day surgery... full cover of in hospital proceedures. and you can choose your excess for overnight admissions which reflects your premium,
    they do a hospital only cover with no extras (chiro, dental etc) for $766 which is pretty good.... I have top cover plus extras and it is only $1900... I started ivf with them at 41.. so no discrimination on age...which they are legally not allowed to do. I did not use my private cover for pregnancy as I wanted to be in a hospital with a NICU.. and our private ones do not have them... I found that the public system was great. It might be a good option stormgirl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's some numbers to help you figure out if its worth it. I'm with Medibank and I've just done an IVF cycle with QFG. They list out of pocket expenses as $3400 with top PHI and $4865 if uninsured. For a subsequent cycle it goes down to $2850/$4240. But I think we'll be out of pocket $500-$1000 more than that with Anaesthetist fees etc. In saying that, QFG is one of the more expensive groups, I've heard others are quite a bit cheaper.
    As others have said, I'm quite sure the IVF waiting period is 12 mths with Medibank. I hope your journey to pregnancy is a short one, but it might be nice to have PHI backup in case the other options don't work out first up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am confused what I will do. Financially I not sure I would even be able to afford IVF (without taking out a loan). At the moment I can afford one, maybe two IUI attempts.
    I just woryy that if I put the $55 a fortnight into PHI then not do IVF, I have wasted all that money which could go toward another IUI or, if lucky enough, a baby. So I am debating whether to take the risk or not. Some people say that PHI doesn't make a huge difference, others say it does. I was even thinking of just putting that money aside every fortnight until a different account so it is there if I do have to go IVF and just use that toward any private hospital charges I would have. If not, then I have saved the money for something else. Only thing is, it would still prob only be enough (if that) for one IVF attempt.
    Oh why is this soooo hard!!!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Have you spoken with your local clinic to get an estimate of all the charges?
    That's going to be the best place to start. Each clinic is different, so you need to check YOUR clinic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would find some form of ivf cover regardless my fs told me last appt they are almost certain to lose gov funding by the end of the year!
    We are under Australian unity which is pretty good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone tell me exactly what private insurance will cover for with IVF? City Fertility gave me their costs but i need to know what the costs would be of the other expenses if I didn't have PHI. I think it is the bed at the private hospital and the anaesthestis? But how can I get a quote on that, can you call the hospital?? I have no idea and need to make a decision soon!