+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best private health insurance?

Hi
    Does anyone recommend a good PHI for wishing to go through IVF? I am a single mother to one child so am hoping the costs aren't excessive.
    Also do they have a wait time until you can benefit from it or can you access it straight away?? I am wishing to have another child (through a sperm donor) but am worried about all the costs involved.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    PHI doesn't really cover a lot of the costs associated with IVF unfortunately. Mine covered my EPU (egg pick up) in hospital (I'm with Medibank Private). Everything else comes under Medicare and you get a certain percentage back from them (gets higher if you go over the safety net).

Most PHI have waiting periods so best do your research to see who has the shortest. I think there is a website where you can compare a stack of different ones and see which is best for your situation.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is that the choosi website? We are with NIB but didn't have to have IVF. I did see a FS though. I can only speak for the pregnancy/birth related stuff, from recollection my out of pockets were from Ob/gyn, ultrasounds (I got some back from medicare for those two). I paid my excess at hospital before delivery as i went private and I think the only other out of pocket was anesthetist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and PHI covered part of anesthetic as did Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with NIB and it has helped cover IVF costs with Medicare. I have top cover my DH has basic. NIB also covers the day surgery fee which can be up to $1500 but u only pay $500 excess for the calendar year so if you have more than one stim cycle it is worth it.

Not sure about waiting times you should check with them (ask them about waiting times for hospital/day surgery as well)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are with HBF and they only cover the EPU (day surgery) and the anaesthetist. Our waiting period was 12 months..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rang around a few and Medibank private seemed to be the best.
    Also the waiting time is only 2 months providing I don't have a pre-existing medical condition.
    Has anyone found Medibank Private to be good??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    I'm with NIB and it has helped cover IVF costs with Medicare. I have top cover my DH has basic. NIB also covers the day surgery fee which can be up to $1500 but u only pay $500 excess for the calendar year so if you have more than one stim cycle it is worth it.

Not sure about waiting times you should check with them (ask them about waiting times for hospital/day surgery as well)
    This is us too We're with NIB with Top cover - DH also has top cover, but he needs his for his hips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stormgirl73 View Post
    Also the waiting time is only 2 months providing I don't have a pre-existing medical condition.
    Hi stromgirl , that's odd. I'm with medibank & they told me the waiting period will be 12 months or maybe they have change the policy recently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by stormgirl73 View Post
    I'm with Medibank Private and found them to be good. I thought things like dental and glasses were only 2 month wait periods & other things like pregnancy & hospital were 12 month. I've had my cover for years though so they may have changed their policies.