+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Walking on tip toes?

Does anyone have any advice what I should do with DD2 who is 27months and still walks on tip toes? I tell her sometimes to walk with flat feet, she understands me but it only lasts a few steps. Can this be a sign of something else, is it a problem, where do I start to correct this? My DS who has just started walking he is 14months but he walks on flat feet so now I'm really noticing her walking! DD1 also walked a bit on tip toes but had out grown it well and truly by 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some toddlers walk with tip toes, but yes, it can be sign of something else. Things like sensory processing disorders. Do your LO do anything else that you consider unusual?

My LO walks on tiptoes, hates wearing shoes and socks, hates the feeling of wool or hoods or anything like that. Hates most foods, doesn't like the feeling or dirt or sand on his hands etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I have no other issues other than she can be pretty wild!! Lol but seriously no, I have no other concerns with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My almost 5yr old would always walk on tip toes. He grew out of it with constant reminders when i saw him do it.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably try and see a paediatric physiotherapist if she is doing it the majority of the time. If left the calf muscles will contract making it almost impossible for the feet to go flat. Through my work I have seen adults have surgery to "release" the calf muscle so they can walk flat. Long term it can cause back issues.

Goodluck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm not sure if this helps but I use to walk on tippy toes well into my 20s (sometimes still do) and I saw a knesiologist who said it was because when I was a toddler, something (parents divorce) stopped me going through my reflex stages. So I was stuck with a few bub like cutesy actions- was the strangest thing- I spent two weeks being super cheeky and devious, like a naughty 2 yo while it settled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Did she spend a lot of time playing in jolly jumpers, walkers etc? I have been told that this can sometimes result in children walking on tip toes.

I would be seeing a paediatrician and going from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies!!! I will get onto it I think!! I often say she has quite large calf muscles, jokingly, but yes I guess this could cause problems later on! Thanks everyone for the help/ suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD2 walks on tip toes more often then not (she is almost 2 years). Its something that started only occasionally but has increased over a few months. At this stage im not too concerned as I know she can walk normally. But I am aware it can cause problems.

My cousin also did it and ended up needing surgery on his heels/ankles because of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    I would probably try and see a paediatric physiotherapist if she is doing it the majority of the time. If left the calf muscles will contract making it almost impossible for the feet to go flat. Through my work I have seen adults have surgery to "release" the calf muscle so they can walk flat. Long term it can cause back issues.

Goodluck.
    This exactly. My nephew walked on his toes and finally got a diagnosis at 5 but his calf muscles were shortened and he has gone thru lots of exercises and now at 8 is very much improved and can run/kick/play well.