+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 7month is clingy!

I would love some advice!

My 7, almost 8month old son has always been an okay sleeper. But within the last month he has started waking erratically through the night, usually every 1-3hrs. He will sometimes go straight back to sleep after a feed, but lately has been waking as soon as I put him back in his cot and will absolutely refuse to sleep unless he's being cuddled or has some kind of physical contact with me (sometimes I'll lay my hand on him for comfort, but he wakes as soon as I move it!). Sometimes we can do this dance for up to 3hrs through the night, and I'm absolutey at the end of my tether.

He's mix fed, and although I dont feed him to sleep during the day he'll usually fall asleep while being fed at night once he's satisfied.

I know at this stage they can go through a 'clingy' stage, but he has no other trouble napping through the day and is perfectly fine being with other people and being put down to play by himself.

Can anyone lend some tips on how to settle? We have tried Tracey Hogg's Baby Whisperer methods before when he was much younger, which have worked. But now it seems he has learned to outsmart it and to be perfectly honest I'm just too tired to keep trying and failing.
    Last edited by charlee25; 31-05-2012 at 21:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We found that gradual retreat helped, sitting close by so they're aware of your presence, then slowly leaving the room. although sometimes when its bad we've literally had to sleep on the floor next to his cot! I've also used baby whisperer and like it. There may be no easy answer, sometimes they just want you close, but hope something helps improve it or its just a short phase! Our DS has had spurts of it over his 19 months, i feel your pain!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7 month old is also going through a clingy stage. My chiropractor recommended a book 'wonder weeks' it talks about all the things they are discovering stage by stage and how it can effect their behavior. It didn't really help with strategies but did give me an insight into y my baby suddenly seemed so difficult. It reallt did make so much sense!! I guess it just helped change my perspective. My chiro also suggested a wonder weeks app for smartphones but I havnt looked at that yet.
    As far as strategies go maybe co sleeping until you feel better rested..... Any strategies you ty will require consistency and I know how it feels to b to tired to persist. Take it easy on yourself..... This to shall pass

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is going through this stage now. He even cries if i cross the room. I just give up at night time and brings him to bed with us. Hope it will pass soon because the bed is too small for us

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 21mth old has been doing this on and off for a few weeks but every night this week. bloody separation anxiety. we are co-sleeping for now cos I cant be stuffed getting up.

this intense clingy phases usually doesnt last more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, it's so great to hear I'm not the only one going through this then. I'm just so tired, and my partner seems to think a nap will fix things. He's a great help at home but a terrible empathiser. Granted, nothing I can say can describe the completely horrid feeling of extreme sleep deprivation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes def not alone my little boy who is 12 months now went through such a clingy phase at that age, we needed up bringing his cot into our room and doing a sidecar arrangement and I would stay in room as he fell asleep , it was so tiring, he woke so often at night needing me but by co sleeping I felt half rested and would nap and get help where I could, it's the separation anxiety phase and I've heard by helping them through it they get through it faster, now at 12 months he wants to do everything himself when it comes to sleep! I've gone from co sleeping for months till him jumping out of my arms into cot and self settling within mins to sleep!!! It's crazy!!!

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Being clingy or "mum-centric" is a trait of his sleep structure. Once he is sleeping better this clingyness should dissappear. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just focus on getting the sleep back to normal