+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Activities for a 2 year old that's not allowed to walk

My DS (2 1/2) had sprained or possibly fractured his foot. He's not even trying to weight bear so I think it's hurting a lot.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep him entertained without spending too much time watching tv / playing i-devices or reading (he's a bit over the couch).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Hopefully not too messy as I've got a 8 month old as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A nice big blob of homemade playdough!

Painting? Food colour and water makes good paint that completely washes out of clothes (takes a few days to come off skin though)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Play dough, puzzles, drawing, goop, pegboards, sorting and classifying activites on a tray, cutting, painting - lots of scope here, try bubble painting etc, magnets etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    jigsaw puzzles. like those wooden ones with the little handles on each piece

reading books

craft stuff - colouring, gluing stuff on paper (coloured paper, cellophane, bits of rope/cord etc), painting but prob messy

helping you cook - sitting on a chair/stool and stiring or adding stuff to the bowl

lego/duplo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 year old DS will spend hours drawing and coloring in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    stickers

drawing (get some 'slick stix' - they are SO easy for little ones to draw with - they are a mixture between a crayon and an oil pastel, but non-toxic and easy to wash out).

What about going for a walk with him in a pram? (assuming you have a suitable pram for the 2 of them - maybe you could hire one short term if you don't - eg. a double mountain buggy) He's probably feeling as house bound as you are!

If you set it up in a 'wet' area you could fill a shallow bucket (rectangular laundry type bucket) with water & give him toys to play with. OR, fill it with sand and let him play with sand toys in it.

All the best for a speedy recovery for him!

Edit: Has he seen the GP? If he has broken it he needs proper pain relief and possibly a plaster. A plaster might seem annoying, but it actually provides a fair bit of pain relief too by keeping the sore foot still.
    Last edited by mim1; 31-05-2012 at 21:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could take a look at www.growingajeweledrose.com. That lady has a heap of cheap and entertaining ideas about sensory play. My DD is a bit young for these ideas but I certainly look forward to the sensory play baths. Spaghetti in the bath for seaweed. Love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!! I'm going to try and get him ton use his table tomorrow - might get him to help me with play dough making we've been watching mister maker so might try some easy things from him! My 8 month old is teething as well so it's going to be a great night!!

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Edit: Has he seen the GP? If he has broken it he needs proper pain relief and possibly a plaster. A plaster might seem annoying, but it actually provides a fair bit of pain relief too by keeping the sore foot still.
    We had X-rays done yesterday, and there's a shadow on one of the tiny bones just below his middle toe, so they're not 100% sure if it's that causing the problem or major soft tissue damage. If he's still no better on Monday they're going to cast it.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD just had her leg in a cast for 6 weeks, and we:
    watched a LOT of playschool
    read a million books
    coloured
    painted
    went for rides in the pusher
    had tea parties
    sang every nursery rhyme known to man