+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fever, sore throat & cold - help me!

Hey ladies,

I'm 14 weeks pregnant, and after looking after a sick bub for the last week while still suffering from awful all day sickness, i'm run down and now sick with a bad sore throat, a slight fever and snotty nose. And I feel AWFUL

I can't get in to see my GP for another day, and the pharmacist says I can't take anything while preggars.. Aside from salt water gargles and honey lemon tea, anyone have any advice, suggestions or miracle cures?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm just coming to end of nasty cold that started with sore throat then blocked and congested. I'm 14 weeks almost too. I was miserable so I feel your pain.
    My GP said that difflam throat spray was okay and I did resort to using it because my throat was so sore. Also gargle dissolvable panadol - it does help. I sucked butter menthols too but not the lozenges that have anaesthetic in them.
    But as for other symptoms I just used Vicks vaporub and hot steamy shower to clear nose.
    But I will say I was totally miserable too and over it. Hugs!!! It sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know why the pharmacist said you can take "nothing", thats ridiculous!
    You can take panadol and codeine which will help with pain and fever. Apart from that, there isn't much you can do, you can't take anti inflammatories or decongestants.
    Hope you get better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on the back end of a cold...

From my research, GP and chemist: You can take paracetamol and paracetamol + codeine (8mg) blends. You can use most cough syrups, and you can use otrivin nasal spray.

You just can't take normal cold and flu remedies.

Speak to a new chemist and ask to see their book that shows the categories of each drug. Cat A is obs perfectly fine, Cat B is fine to take if the benefit outweighs the risk..eg a fever is worse on baby than taking panadol to reduce it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 26+5 & went to dr the other day because DS & I were both sick with colds & she said panadol, vitiman c so oranges, mandarines & she said vicks on the chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best to take pandadol if you have a fever (esp 38 or higher) as it can be dangerous to baby! You poor thing, the flu is awful!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Take paracetamol, drink lots of fluids and go back to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you have strepsils? I have a similar thing, sore throat, blocked nose, slight fever and morning (all day) sickness on top of the cold

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Difflam is a no-no! Anything anti-inflammatory is.

I feel your pain - I am 38 weeks and DS and I have both come down with a cold.

Rest, panadol, plenty of fluids and plain strepsils have been prettying all I can have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor and pharmacist said I could take "Benadryl Mucus Relief and Decongestant". I was coughing up mucus day and night so it helped me a lot. I was also on antibiotics. Cleared it all up very quickly. I'm not usually one to take medication, but I worry about viruses in pregnancy.