+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Threatened Miscarriage

I am currently between 6-8 weeks pregnant, first pregnancy, i am unsure of the dates because originally i thought i was 9 weeks, however an ultrasound showed the dates to be wrong.

Sat 26th May, (5days ago) I noticed light bleeding and mild cramping. My partner and i attended the ED early that evening as we weren't sure what it meant or what to expect.

In E.D, I had an transvaginal ultrasound that showed a heartbeat, although a slow one (81bpm) with a measurement of 2.7mm crown to rump. There was no evidence of bleeding in the uterus from what the ultrasound could pick up, so i was reassured that everything is okay, they took bloods - FBE, U&E, anti-bodies, and they all came back within normal ranges.

After the ultrasound, the bleeding increased from light (only when i wiped) to be medium flowing. The hospital discharged me and said to wait a few days and contact G.P, but it all looks okay, and gave me a diagnosis of 'threatened miscarriage'

The bleeding continued at a medium flow with mild to no cramping for three days, and then in the last 24 hours has turned to a dark brown thick discharge (?old blood?) No tissue has been expelled.

I have no idea whether i am still pregnant or not, i have taken a pregnancy test again this week, even though i know that is a useless tool as even if i have miscarriaged, there will still be HCG present, thus giving a positive test.

I have attempted to contact my G.P, she has no appointments this week, but i have left several messages for her to contact me, basically i just want a referral form to have a follow up ultrasound and a pathology slip for HCG levels. so far i have not had a return phone call - 5 days since being discharged from hospital.

I am almost at a stage where i am beside myself not knowing whether i am still pregnant or not, my partner and i have assumed the worse and are prepared to deal with the negative outcome, but it's the not knowing part that is frustrating.

I have written this in an attempt to see if anyone has had a similar experience? what happened? What was the outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The brown ect is old blood, from what my gf went through with her miscarriage it was as she was losing the last of the blood. If you had miscarried completely you would have had large clots with your bleeding and it would have been heavy (my gf was going through 2 - 3 pads a day in the few days after)

If you are worried and your dr hasnt contacted you go back to the ED. Explain to them what happened and they will look after you as they will want to make sure you and bubs are ok.

We just wanted ultrasound results and they put us in line and did the best they could for us, kept monitoring my SO ect until they could get us a bed and talk to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would almost be tempted to go back to ed just to get another scan. Blood levels don't mean so much at this stage, an ultrasound will give you all the info you need (checking the heart beat). If you had a blood test now they wouldn't have an especially recent one to compare it to and unless it had dropped a lot from the previous one, it can be a bit ambiguous. And you're right, even if you have miscarried, if you do a preg test there will still be hcg in your system so it'll show up as positive for a while.

A lot of ed's won't even do a scan as there is nothing that can be 'done', so if your local one did, i'd go back there. It's not ideal when it's not an emergency, but for your peace of mind... I know what i'd be doing. Even if you have to say you've had more bleeding and can't get in to gp...

I hope you get answers soon, hugs

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing that was always said to us before we miscarried is if in doubt go to the ED, they would rather check you over and you be fine rather than have you put it off and some much worse outcome happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree go back to ED and ask for another scan or go to your GP's tomorrow and get a referral for a scan.

I had bleeding on and off for a couple of weeks ranging from brown to bright red: light to medium flow. I now have a two year old daughter. So I hope that the bleeding stops and you go on to have a successful pregnancy.

However, I have had it go the other way too and I have experienced two miscarriages. I agree with PP that miscarriage is usually heavier and painful. I was using maternity pads for the flow with miscarriage. I also passed clots.

Look after yourself try bed rest for a couple of days and don't go to work. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies, after reading what everyone said, i was determined to see a doctor today even if it meant going to E.D.
    I rang my local G.P office and my doctor is off sick (which might explains the no return calls all week) I told the receptionist what was happening and she had one of the other doctors on the phone to me, he told me to come straight in.

We had a bit of a chat, he did my blood pressure, and a feel of my tummy, he said it was pointless doing anything today because it wouldn't give accurate results, but instead booked me if for an ultrasound Monday and a follow up appointment next week. He said it's likely not a miscarriage as the bleeding only lasted a few days and that now having brown discharge is a good sign, means it's old blood. but again, couldn't guarantee it.

I'm okay with that plan, I am still under the belief that i am or have miscarried, i have decided it's better to think the worse.

I'll update Monday either way.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so glad that you finally got to see a doctor and that he has you booked for an ultrasound!! Waiting till Monday sucks a bit but it is so much better than nothing. At least you have a plan now which is very comforting (Not having any direction and not knowing what was going on was the hardest and most stressful thing for us when we miscarried)

*hugs* Look forward to your update. Will be thinking of you over the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sorry you ar going thu this. A couple weeks ago i had mild cramping that was on and off for 2 weeks. I went to my gp (who wasnt there that day) and saw another gp because i was desperate. He did not let me get a scan because he said "it is too early in the pregnancy to try and give any drugs for a miscarrage (9weeks), if it's going to happen it would have by now and thre is nothing you and i can do about it". Yes, he was an *******. He instead, swap tested me for any infection that 'may' cause miscarage. I asked if he could hear a heartbeat and he just said no because mine was too loud. not very reassuring for me.
    A week later i have no more cramping just a heap of white discharge, i never had bleeding. I had my 10week bloods for combined screening today and im just hoping for the best. I too, dont even know if my bubs is still alive in there. It sux so bad that the maternity/womens health dont want anything to do with you when ur under 12weeks. They just fob u off to ED or ur GP.
    I get a scan in 2 weeks when i reach 12 weeks....its gonna be a long 2 week wait.
    Once again, sorry ur going thru this. all the best for a healthy pregnancy and take care of yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im thinking of you. I hope that everything is going to be ok for you. xoxoxoxoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    Hunkamumma, that is seriously unacceptable care. You poor thing! If I were you (and I've been there a few times) I would be finding a new GP. But in the meantime, they should be doing bloods every 2 days to see if your hcg is doubling. 2 weeks is way too long to wait for this. Please go to your doc again tomorrow and get the referral. For threatened m/c the bloods should be bulk billed. I feel so sorry for you girls with your c*appy GPs. Mine was so great. I'm thinking myself very lucky right now.
    I am with Nat, that sort of care from a GP is unacceptable. As soon as you have the chance, find yourself a better dr.. I am so thankful I have such a wonderful GP, I wish my SO had of gone to her instead of her cr*ppy GP