+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Yep, ive written about it on here before. First episode was when i 13, i had a reaction to an ice pack. Since then its been getting worse, if i go swimming i get covered in hives, i go all dizzy and feel sick.

    I avoid anything that i think will give me a reaction. I feel im at the stage that i will go into anaphylactic shock if im exposed. My reaction is really fast and more severe. My dr had no clue what it was, until he researched it for me.
    So I assume you have a pen as well?
    The specialist told me to just avoid going on a boat, swimming in creeks and open ocean, walking in cold weather and rain and also avoid sitting in aircon without being dressed warmly.
    Another thing he told me to avoid was shopping centers in summer time. They tend to crank up the aircon, so if I need to go to the shops, I need to make sure I have along sleeved jumper with me and also wear long pants.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    834
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    60
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    So I assume you have a pen as well?
    The specialist told me to just avoid going on a boat, swimming in creeks and open ocean, walking in cold weather and rain and also avoid sitting in aircon without being dressed warmly.
    Another thing he told me to avoid was shopping centers in summer time. They tend to crank up the aircon, so if I need to go to the shops, I need to make sure I have along sleeved jumper with me and also wear long pants.
    The bit about aircon is so much like me! I always take a jumper when we go shopping in summer and cant handle being in air con. I had a physio tell me to start at a gym to help with an old injury, I couldnt stay with the programme because I couldnt deal with being in the aircon, I would always get sick. I just dont get a rash from it though.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    The bit about aircon is so much like me! I always take a jumper when we go shopping in summer and cant handle being in air con. I had a physio tell me to start at a gym to help with an old injury, I couldnt stay with the programme because I couldnt deal with being in the aircon, I would always get sick. I just dont get a rash from it though.
    I wouldn't call this a rash though. These are large white and red bumps all over your body and they itch like you wouldn't believe

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    So I assume you have a pen as well?
    The specialist told me to just avoid going on a boat, swimming in creeks and open ocean, walking in cold weather and rain and also avoid sitting in aircon without being dressed warmly.
    Another thing he told me to avoid was shopping centers in summer time. They tend to crank up the aircon, so if I need to go to the shops, I need to make sure I have along sleeved jumper with me and also wear long pants.
    Nope. No Dr has ever taken me seriously. Its marked in my hospital file in case i need cold iv fluids (normal ones make me feel woozy even). I do all of the above but i live in the tropics so its rarely an issue (i just dont swim unless the water is warm). I get giant white welts (think gigantic mozzie bites), which are surrounded by red.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked
    233
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm allergic to cold weather. When it's cold there will be some small bumps on my skin (legs/tummy/neck/arm), then they expand and connect into a huge bump, very itchy. Telfast helps but it drains out my milk so i just scratch like crazy when it appears. It has come and gone since i was young.

    Sent from my U20i using BubHub

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Nope. No Dr has ever taken me seriously. Its marked in my hospital file in case i need cold iv fluids (normal ones make me feel woozy even). I do all of the above but i live in the tropics so its rarely an issue (i just dont swim unless the water is warm). I get giant white welts (think gigantic mozzie bites), which are surrounded by red.
    Well if you do decide you want to get it checked out more thoroughly, you can always ask your GP for a referral to an immunologist/allergy specialist.
    It's a simple test to do. If you dont get a hive from the icecube, they dip someone's whole arm in a bucket of icecubes

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Well if you do decide you want to get it checked out more thoroughly, you can always ask your GP for a referral to an immunologist/allergy specialist.
    It's a simple test to do. If you dont get a hive from the icecube, they dip someone's whole arm in a bucket of icecubes
    There is nothing like that where i live, or i would One day i will. I get hives from holding a can of coke. I think my whole arm would fall off if i had to do that test


 

Similar Threads

  1. Suddenly allergic?
    By Ladybugz in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 23:13
  2. Allergic reaction.
    By Ashleighkatee93 in forum General Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-05-2012, 05:54
  3. 3 yro allergic to life.... Anyone else?
    By Bubbygirl in forum General Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-05-2012, 18:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hills Swimming
Swim with your friends and you will all get a 33% discount!* We have programs to suit all ages and abilities, with small classes held in our warm indoor 25 metre pool. Highly qualified teachers, and award winning programs. *conditions apply
featured supporter
Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic
Leading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an integrative approach all health professionals and offer diagnostic testing and natural treatment options suitable for the whole family.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!