+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=mrsd;6667284]

For all of those who oppose any variety of Christianity taught in public schools, just remember that the Judeo-Christian tradition is where much of our Australian community morality and legal foundations come from. You don't have to agree with it but having a sound understanding is very helpful, particularly later in life when tricky questions come up about public policy (like some of those at present - gay marriage and asylum seekers, for example) and we have to analyse what our society's core beliefs are and where they came from, in order to form our own opinions.
    [QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Where does the asylum seekers bit come into it? Sorry, hard to see all the posts on my phone.
    From here, Refresh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh ok...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I'm about to walk out the door -- but would you like to list some examples please mrsd.

I like your point about some confirmed Atheists understanding teh bible though -- I'm pretty sure I know many Atheists who know more about it and it's origins than self proclaimed Christains.
    I am yet to meet an athiest - online or IRL - who knows and understands the bible better than me - in fact, most of my 5 year old students at school understood the bible better than any athiest I've ever met I hear statements all the time from athiests, like "Oh but doesn't the bible say an eye for an eye?" or "Doesn't the bible say that anger is a sin?" etc - with absolutely no understanding of the purpose of the New Testament and New Covenant and the way that it fulfilled the Old Covenant (of the old testament). The bible is a book that I read and study daily, as do many Christians, so I think that unless Athiests are devoting as much time to the bible as I do, of course they are not going to understand the bible well. Not that my knowledge of the bible is perfect by any means - I can learn something new from it every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was walking out the door Regina - my most should have read "SOME" self proclaimed Christians.
    apologies.

..and example, a PP mentioned she took on her husbands religion - but then didn't know much about Jews.

an 'some' Atheists - don't really care.

There are plenty of atheist or agnostic Bible scholars, Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou is one I very much admire.

I wouldn't doubt you know your Bible from cover to cover Regina

We do differ on it's origins though - Archaeologically speaking
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 02-07-2012 at 23:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I am yet to meet an athiest - online or IRL - who knows and understands the bible better than me - in fact, most of my 5 year old students at school understood the bible better than any athiest I've ever met I hear statements all the time from athiests, like "Oh but doesn't the bible say an eye for an eye?" or "Doesn't the bible say that anger is a sin?" etc - with absolutely no understanding of the purpose of the New Testament and New Covenant and the way that it fulfilled the Old Covenant (of the old testament). The bible is a book that I read and study daily, as do many Christians, so I think that unless Athiests are devoting as much time to the bible as I do, of course they are not going to understand the bible well. Not that my knowledge of the bible is perfect by any means - I can learn something new from it every day
    *waves*. Betcha I know more than at least your year 5 kids, but I did spend several years as a happy clapper reading the bible through several times and also attending many hours bible study. I understand the NT was supposed to do away with the OT, but ( and I really did try) just don't believe either book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I was walking out the door Regina - my most should have read "SOME" self proclaimed Christians.
    apologies.

..and example, a PP mentioned she took on her husbands religion - but then didn't know much about Jews.

an 'some' Atheists - don't really care.

There are plenty of atheist or agnostic Bible scholars, Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou is one I very much admire.

I wouldn't doubt you know your Bible from cover to cover Regina

We do differ on it's origins though - Archaeologically speaking
    True - I wasn't thinking about people who follow a religion but don't activtely participate in that religion if you know what I mean - so perhaps some people will say, for example, 'I was baptised Catholic' but then not ever pick up a bible or go to Church. I guess I would wonder why an athiest would spend time daily studying something that they believe is rubbish & to be completely untrue - except maybe from a historical viewpoint, but then that doesn't really bring a whole lot of understanding regarding content.

Ana Gram - that's kind of what I'm saying, I guess - I read both the old and new testament, and believe that both are equally important in understanding the Christian faith - but knowing the gospel message means knowing that Jesus death on the cross fulfilled the old covenant.

I've still never met an athiest who understands the bible well at all (I am thinking particularly content, some athiests do research the origins of the bible perhaps) - but perhaps one day, I will, and we might have an interesting discussion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    *waves*. Betcha I know more than at least your year 5 kids, but I did spend several years as a happy clapper reading the bible through several times and also attending many hours bible study. I understand the NT was supposed to do away with the OT, but ( and I really did try) just don't believe either book.
    Not year 5 - 5 year old

By 'either book' I assume you mean either testament? lol
    Sorry, I'm just being cheeky!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, I also have had plenty of experience in various churches. Plenty of bible study here too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ..am watching "for the Bible tells me so" at the moment.

- I guess it's all a matter of 'interpretation'.

Kinda of OP topic now - sorry OP.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    True - I wasn't thinking about people who follow a religion but don't activtely participate in that religion if you know what I mean - so perhaps some people will say, for example, 'I was baptised Catholic' but then not ever pick up a bible or go to Church. I guess I would wonder why an athiest would spend time daily studying something that they believe is rubbish & to be completely untrue - except maybe from a historical viewpoint, but then that doesn't really bring a whole lot of understanding regarding content.
    We do it because unfortunately, religion affects us as well.

Ana Gram - that's kind of what I'm saying, I guess - I read both the old and new testament, and believe that both are equally important in understanding the Christian faith - but knowing the gospel message means knowing that Jesus death on the cross fulfilled the old covenant.

I've still never met an athiest who understands the bible well at all (I am thinking particularly content, some athiests do research the origins of the bible perhaps) - but perhaps one day, I will, and we might have an interesting discussion
    I guess what you are saying here, or what I am reading, is that even people who call themselves Christian don't understand the bible well enough. Since the Old Testament is constantly referred to in modern times for reason to not give equal rights to gay people.

I know several people who have studied theology without being religious. There are lots of atheists that do study religions and religious texts without being religious. And not just about the origins of the bible.