+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    For the adults here who have made their own choice/decision about relgiion, I would guess you came to that decision as an adult or at least in your later teens. ?? I would not be overly concerned with what a little one might be told for one half hour lesson once a week. The childs family, and family life style, will surely be the largest influence for many years yet. Im not wanting to make light of it all for those who are concerned, but for me it would be of little importance. Marie.
    There are several problems.

One - belief is being 'taught' as fact in a setting where the teacher, or any one at the front of the classroom, is almost seen as being all-knowing, almost omnipotent Religion is not a fact and many kids lack the ability to apply critical thinking

Two - after seeing the impact a once off incursion has on kids - like the life education vans, ( maybe only ever 2 hours once in their primary school life), the impact of a regular half hour indoctrination is enormous.

Three - the preaching is not balanced, it is Christian based only.

Four - the children of families who opt out are called 'excluded'. They are expected to sit out of the classroom often in hallways and are only supervised. Some schools allow kids to read or complete Jo,work, but many school are forced to let the kids sit and twiddle their thumbs. They are NOT allowed to do anything that is fun like play sports or a game (that might encourage other kids to ask to opt out) and they are NOT allowed to receive any instruction from teachers (which can be see to be an advantage and encourage parents to opt their child out).

Five - the preacher/teachers are NOT qualified teachers.

Six - children have become distressed that their loved ones are going to hell. Once family at our school has two mummies -recently their child came home and stated he hated his two mummies as the bible said they were going to hell and he would be left without anyone. My own Dd originally attended CRE as I too saw little harm - until she told me I HAD to get married so that god would love me. The CRE teacher denied telling her that, but DD insisted that she had learnt in CRE that you had to get married before you were allowed to have babies.

Seven - I no longer believe in the god of the bible - why would I let someone teach my children a belief system I don't adhere to - that would only cause disharmony on my household.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

bugsy  (01-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2012),Gandalf  (03-06-2012),MissMuppet  (02-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP - if you would like your child to have exposure to religions with a critical eye - maybe have a few books on your book shlef at home that she can compare?

I'm trying to find one I consider to be suitable, maybe something like this?>

http://www.amazon.com/One-World-Many...der_0679839305

..I do fully agree with you about the teacher/school/facts/student realtionship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post

One - belief is being 'taught' as fact in a setting where the teacher, or any one at the front of the classroom, is almost seen as being all-knowing, almost omnipotent Religion is not a fact and many kids lack the ability to apply critical thinking

Two - after seeing the impact a once off incursion has on kids - like the life education vans, ( maybe only ever 2 hours once in their primary school life), the impact of a regular half hour indoctrination is enormous.

Four - the children of families who opt out are called 'excluded'. They are expected to sit out of the classroom often in hallways and are only supervised. Some schools allow kids to read or complete Jo,work, but many school are forced to let the kids sit and twiddle their thumbs. They are NOT allowed to do anything that is fun like play sports or a game (that might encourage other kids to ask to opt out) and they are NOT allowed to receive any instruction from teachers (which can be see to be an advantage and encourage parents to opt their child out).

Six - children have become distressed that their loved ones are going to hell. Once family at our school has two mummies -recently their child came home and stated he hated his two mummies as the bible said they were going to hell and he would be left without anyone. My own Dd originally attended CRE as I too saw little harm - until she told me I HAD to get married so that god would love me. The CRE teacher denied telling her that, but DD insisted that she had learnt in CRE that you had to get married before you were allowed to have babies.

Seven - I no longer believe in the god of the bible - why would I let someone teach my children a belief system I don't adhere to - that would only cause disharmony on my household.
    Well put. The more I think about it the greater the state of disbelief I'm in that RE (Christian based) is taught in public schools.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post

Well put. The more I think about it the greater the state of disbelief I'm in that RE (Christian based) is taught in public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH and I are Christians, but I have to say that I find the stories on the hub about schools and the way they handle their scripture programs to be very disrespectful to those that do not want to participate.

Even though I am a Christian, I consider it MY place to be teaching my children about God, and NOT the schools.

I would have to agree that something has to be done, because the current system really isn't working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think all schools should have RE, on the basis that all (well most) religions are taught. I believe that when there is a better understanding of other religions and culture, racism will not be the problem it is today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally don't have a problem with 1 religion being taught to primary school children or young children as to not confuse them. I think the main idea is to form an understanding of western religion and gain honest morals.

Once in highschool, religions of the world is offered as a subject at private schools, im not sure about public.. But IMHO multi religious studies, where a youth has the maturity to be able to make decisions (to follow religion or not, or what religion they believe in, if any) should wait until they are a bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis243 View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with 1 religion being taught to primary school children or young children as to not confuse them. I think the main idea is to form an understanding of western religion and gain honest morals.

oe
    Then teach a Morals and Ethics class. I think that teaching one religion to childrens teaches them to be closed minded, judgmental and intolerant.

My morals have nothing to do with my religious beliefs any more than I am a criminal or a heathen for not having a religion.

Morals and Ethics - being a 'good' person is not about not committing a crime or a sin because a god might get upset, but being a good person is based on being a good person, having morals and ethics, charity and compassion because it's the right thing to do not because some book written by men about a god 2000 years ago says I should be good.

Id rather the schools teach global citizenship TBH - a far more worthy subject than CRE.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

JJJRain-crew  (02-07-2012),MissMuppet  (02-07-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (02-07-2012),wrena  (02-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no idea about how the religious classes work in public schools but from my personal experience my mum said it was up to me if I wanted to attend scripture when I was in primary school. Of course I said no, it meant play time! I really wish I had of learnt early on in life about religion, be it one religion or 10, as I really lack a very basic understanding of ANYTHING. I agree that certain things (such as abortion views etc) should definitely wait until the children are old enough (like sex ed classes, really) but I think if they were to teach too many religions it would get confusing.. I do believe that in catholic/christian/muslim religions that there is only one God, so its really once you start getting into jews, buddhists etc where the lines blur (I know nothing about these)
    I chose to be christened into the same religion as DH when he and I started getting serious as I knew that I wanted our children to have their parents of the same religion, so really at the end of the day it is entirely up to us as individuals to choose what we want at a time appropriate in our lives.

It is entirely up to you what you feel you would like your child learning in any and all instances but I just thought I would share my personal experience, as although I have been christened as an adult I really wish I knew more about God in general.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Sarelou;6667200] I do believe that in catholic/christian/muslim religions that there is only one God, so its really once you start getting into jews, buddhists etc where the lines blur (I know nothing about these)

QUOTE]

Christianity was born from Judiasm (aka jews) - Jesus was a jew

and Islam (Muslims) was born after (from same origins as) Christianity.

..just a little bit more info for you

RE in schools as it stands is nothing more than an indoctrination tool.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 02-07-2012 at 16:38.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (02-07-2012)