+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Religion and schools- i dont understand!

So my dd yr 1 does RE- religion about once a week, its a public school.

Now im not religious at all and have a strong dislike to christian/catholic religion, however i allowed my dd to do RE at her school for 2 reasons

1. I believe in my kids deciding for themselves what their own beliefs are, just like my parents did for me
    2. I didnt know how many other kids would not be attending so i didnt want her feeling left out

But what iv found after almost 2 terms of RE is they only teach ONE religion (not sure if its christian or catholic)

But my understanding when signing the form for it was its not a class to "preach god" but to teach kids about religion.
    So why is it only about 1??

Why is it not about a range of religions, giving childrens options in the beliefs.

My dd now is under the belief that theres one god, one way, he created everything bla bla bla

Now when she talks to me about it i just listen, smile and say ok and the few occassions she had a question about something as she obviously realized that something they have sense doesnt make sense with the way life is i simply say um im not to sure sweetie, write it down and ask mrs xyz

Its just annoyed me greatly because they are telling her this is how it is and thats final. What happened to the other religions and how and who will break it to my dd and others when they start realizing theres are jews, muslims, and so on..?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbygirl For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (02-07-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This is the million dollar question. Lots of people would prefer it to be actual education about religion rather than indoctrination to one religion.

I didn't allow my child to go to those classes for this very reason.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012),beccacino  (01-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2012),MissMuppet  (02-07-2012),SassyMummy  (01-06-2012),shelle65  (01-06-2012),VicPark  (01-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yep, its only one strain of christianity that is taught, and its taught as the 'one true way' - hence a lot of people (myself included) are currently trying to have it cut out.

Its disgusting (imo) - if they did what you thought they did, i'd be totally for RE - but its not.
    its religious instruction not education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree. My son is currently in prep and there would be no way I would let him attend. I don't think they actually do RE here until they go to high school. I do believe there should be a 'subject' for religion where they learn about all the different religions and their beliefs, this may help society to be a little more accepting of different religions. I too am not a religious person and would like my children to decide themselves when given all the information. My dislike of religious instruction comes from high school where we were made to do it once a week. Everyone was split up into their "religions". One week we walked into religion class to be told we would be doing something different and they started preaching to us about how bad abortion was and how you would not go to heaven if you have an abortion. Now I'm not for or against it myself, I strongly believe it is a personal choice based on the current situation the person is in. Even at the age of 15 I knew this wasn't right and along with another 4 or 5 students we walked out half way through and never went back. Let's educate our kids and let them make up their own minds, not preach to them!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mumtoboyz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wish i had of asked more questions before signing but the wording used on the form made it sound as though it was to help kids learn and understand about religions!

And she only started chatting about it at home at the start of term two so i sorta forgot she was even doing it so i cant pull her out of it now as she would be upset and feel left out!

And now im going to have to find a way to break it to her that she has more choices and things to learn to make her decision later in life, in a way its ruined my plan in giving her the choice to form her own opinions instead of following mine, now shes just following hers.

I feel like they have lied, misguided, wrongly informed her of what choices she has in life!

If i wanted her to have one set way of thinking at her age then i would have picked a school that catered to that one set religion!

Really annoyed, not at the religion thou i will add, just at the school/religion people for not correctly informing me of their agenda and not giving my dd the opportunity to work things out in her own way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe you can still take her out... if you have a chat with her teacher about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm religious and it disgusts me.

I'm 100% supportive of teaching religion from a social sciences POV by a real teacher.

Aside from my issues with indoctrination happening in public schools, I also really dislike that students are marginalised for their beliefs because of these classes.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    This is the million dollar question. Lots of people would prefer it to be actual education about religion rather than indoctrination to one religion.

I didn't allow my child to go to those classes for this very reason.
    same here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I remember there being several variations of religion being taught when I went to school... but I still think it was mostly variations of Christianity, not anything extra.

My daughter won't be attending. If she wants to grow up and follow religion, she can once she's old enough to challenge ideas. At this age, she sees her classroom as a place she learns facts. Send an RE teacher in there and she'll think she's being taught facts, as she would in Maths or English or whatever. She will believe everything they say without question. She doesn't need to be brainwashed...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    ...don't get me started!

OP - It sucks this is happening with your child

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (01-06-2012)