+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default asd friendly schools in Frankston, Vic area

Hi everyone,

We are currently in the process of an asd assessment for our 5.5 year old son. It looks like the dx will be asd but not sure yet. Meanwhile, he will be starting school next year so I would like to know if there are any asd friendly schools around Seaford, frankston,etc in Victoria. Any info would be graetly appreciated as I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment!

Thanks.

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know Chelsea Heights primary is very supportive of children with special needs.

It might be worthwhile to ring up either Yarrabah special school in Aspendale or Narranga Special School in Frankston as they could give you an idea. If your child has a severe learning disability as well, Yarrabah would be an option or a mild learning disability (iq below 70) Naranga is also as option.

Make sure you look to get funding, as it would be essential to help him get support in the classroom.

Feel free to PM me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bgbgbb For This Useful Post:

ILOVEBRODY  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your response. Although the dx is still a couple of months away, and we are still going through the assessment, we are looking into schools at the moment. I believe Brody is possibly Aspergers or HFA (although I'm wondering whether he has bipolar also). Therefore his challenges are more of an emotional, behavioural nature rather than cognitive. His speech appears to be ok too (he has just had the speech component done) and we have the psych assessment in a couple of weeks. What a roller coaster ride!! (I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on this forum about what that's like)

We have so far looked into a couple of schools (we are in Seaford) and Seaford Primary seems a good choice so far. They have SPD and a language unit (if required), small class sizes and they seem to have experience and knowledge with ASD. Chelsea Heights is still an option as they are not too far away (although travel isn't an issue for the right school!) so I will ring up and find out about getting a private tour

As for funding, if he is on the mild end of the spectrum (which I think is the case), we probably won't benefit from this. I understand why kids with severe learning difficulties should get assistance and I agree wholeheartedly with this! I just wish there was also a little more help with ppl on the mild end. The challenges faced may be different to those on the severe end but there are challenges nonetheless. This is why I feel it is important that the school is familiar with ASD's and understands how to deal with kids who are afflicted with it. For instance, if he has a meltdown, are the teachers going to yell at him or ignore him because they have their hands full with other kids who have no issues and the ASD is in the "too hard basket". I know some schools have aides (usually allocated to those who recieve funding) but are they also available in times of need for others who also need them?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, its a lot to think about. I just want what's best for my kids and don't personally know many parents of kids with ASD. It sure is a lonely place to be!! I'm grateful for your reply

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You're welcome. My children went briefly to Chelsea Heights (they're catholic and so we moved them to a catholic school) and I still have lots of friends there. They offer speech therapy and are great with children with any needs. If he doesn't qualify for funding they'll make sure he's in a class with someone who does have funding for an aide. They have a great parental network there too.

I have heard Seaford primary is good too.

Be upfront with the schools about your son's behaviour & needs. You'll get a feeling when you do the school tours which school feels right for him.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The prep teachers and classroom supports at Frankston primary school are fantastic. I did placement there on my teaching rounds and there were many children with learning difficulties or from culturally different families, and the way the school and teachers catered for all these students was amazing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emmaba For This Useful Post:

ILOVEBRODY  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responser. Its nice to know there are some schools around this region that can cater for ASD kids. This gives me a few choices

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an ancient post but I'm wondering how you went with your search for a school for your son? I'm in the same boat with 2 boys with ASD and am considering a move to Frankston. Any advice would be great!