+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stormgirl73 View Post
    Anyway I live half way between Ipswich and Toowoomba but am considering a move back to Ipswich as I hardly have any friends out here and it gets lonely, although I LOVE the country life.
    That's EXACTLY why DH and I are moving out there... To get away from everyone lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved here for the cheaper rent and I wanted my girl to go to a country school. But rent is not so cheap anymore and I have no one out here so I get lonely. It is a beautiful area, I live just outside Gatton. But since I am on my own I have been thinking about moving back to Ipswich where I have good friends as I have no family in Australia at all and need some support.
    Also, I don't have PHI so I no idea what I going to do. But the initial appointment with Dr Esler is $150 I tink and can get in within a week or two so I guess a visit to him won't hurt at this stage. I will let you know what I decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved here for the cheaper rent and I wanted my girl to go to a country school. But rent is not so cheap anymore and I have no one out here so I get lonely. It is a beautiful area, I live just outside Gatton. But since I am on my own I have been thinking about moving back to Ipswich where I have good friends as I have no family in Australia at all and need some support.
    Also, I don't have PHI so I no idea what I going to do. But the initial appointment with Dr Esler is $150 I tink and can get in within a week or two so I guess a visit to him won't hurt at this stage. I will let you know what I decide.
    Yes please do and let me know what you think of him as a person
    It's good to know that he doesn't have a huge long waiting list, that's what I was most worried about.
    I think my initial consult was around the 150 mark too, by the time we added ultra sounds, blood tests and seamen analysis it was up over $600 :0
    Maybe call them and get a schedule of fees and the Medicare item numbers and call Medicare to find out how much you get back?
    I know you have to be registered with QFG before treatment and if you are using donor sperm it's $500 to register before you even get started
    It's so expensive and I do feel they (every FS not just QFG) take a little bit of advantage, but it's such a beautiful miracle at the end of it all that we do what we have to do hey.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have made an appt through City Fertility in Brisbane as Dr Esler doesn't have any sperm available (gee that sounds so bad but you know what I mean!!). Anyway through him I would have to go straight to IVF but with City Fertility I may be able to just stick with IUI. But gee it is all so expensive Monash was more expensive too I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have made an appt through City Fertility in Brisbane as Dr Esler doesn't have any sperm available (gee that sounds so bad but you know what I mean!!). Anyway through him I would have to go straight to IVF but with City Fertility I may be able to just stick with IUI. But gee it is all so expensive Monash was more expensive too I think.
    You going to sunnybank or the city? IUI will be so much cheaper as you won't have day surgery/hospital costs so sounds like you have a good plan
    Like I said I was paying $1064 per IUI cycle and that included about 3-4 scans, 100 million blood tests and on average 2 puregon viles (I don't produce FSH on my own so have to inject) and I got $510 of that back, once I hit the safety net it was $640 back do about $400 out of pocket each month... Way more justifiable then $7000 huh?!?

Good luck with it all xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an appt with Dr Andy Stamatiou in Brisbane (Wickham Tce). For each IUI cycle I am looking at just over $1000 and that is after the medicare rebate. The sperm is $800 alone and you get nothing back from that.
    Was the $1064 with all costs included??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an appt with Dr Andy Stamatiou in Brisbane (Wickham Tce). For each IUI cycle I am looking at just over $1000 and that is after the medicare rebate. The sperm is $800 alone and you get nothing back from that.
    Was the $1064 with all costs included??
    Yea it was everything included. Its sad that donor sperm costs do much.... makes me wonder how many people are going through life childless because they just can't afford it.
    Good luck with it all, hopefully you fall quickly and don't have to keep forking out so many monies for your baby xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am going to postpone the appointment and ring around a few more places but apparently that seems to be about the average cost.
    How exactly does the whole IUI work?? The procedure etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am going to postpone the appointment and ring around a few more places but apparently that seems to be about the average cost.
    How exactly does the whole IUI work?? The procedure etc.
    I can tell you how it happened for me but your cycle may be completely different if you have regular cycles, I have to be heavily medicated.

I'd start clomid tablets on the 3rd day of my period and take them through to CD7, have a blood test and ultra sound on CD10 to check my follicle count then from there my Dr would decide how many units of puregon I would need, I then would have another scan CD14 or 15 and blood test to check LH levels. Maybe another scan CD18 then blood tests day 18, 19 & 20 then trigger shot at 9pm the night of CD21 and IUI done first thing the morning of CD23.
    The actual procedure is similar to a pap smear, they put the duck beak thingy in but then put a small one through that and open up the opening of the cervix and this hurts a bit.
    The sperm is then passed through a syringe with a catheter attached and put straight into the opening of the tubes where the egg is waiting. You can get up and walk around straight away and the sperm doesn't run out because it is up so high.
    I always had intense period like cramping for a few hours afterwards but nothing too serious.
    Blood test at 16DPO unless AF comes first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG so full on!
    I do have regular periods and was pregnant last Decemeber (I terminated for very personal reasons, but now I DEEPLY regret this as it made me realise how much I want another child) A gp said that since I have recently fallen pregnant and have regular periods is a good sign but I worry that the termination may have caused problems (she said unlikely). But if I am still healthy and fertile then I rather attempt this now than later.
    Anyway, I TRULY hope your dream comes true soon for it seems so unfair you have to go through all this.