+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks missie mack - i always like to know where the info is coming from. This fantastic evidence of the impact of immunisation programs - look at these numbers compared to today or even since the eradication plan was set in place.

I stand by what i said though, those numbers are irrelevant to my argument (even though i am grateful to you providing your source). The WHO page also explains Australias eradication plan.

The numbers I gave are evidence of just how serious this disease can be if left unchecked. It is now considered eradicated from Australia which is why the numbers are so low today - but the question is not how many people die today from measles, the question is what is the potential for this disease to kill or make you seriously ill IF you get it - the threat of risks associated from it remains UNCHANGED If vaccinations dropped then we would be back at square one.

It is often a severe disease and therefore immunisation efforts should be taken seriously - that is how they achieved such a strong drop - enough to claim it has been eradicated in our country.

Australia specific data is available here for anyone that is interested in the factshttp://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-measles
    Last edited by Ulysses; 31-05-2012 at 12:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012),beebs  (31-05-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I say only because compared to more common health issues which are not given the same amount of media it is small. More people die from asthma every single year than died in that decade of measles.

Measles can have serious health issues and cause death. Never negated that fact. Infact it is probably scarier than some other virus' as it can live in the air for up to 2 hours.
    there is no vaccine for asthma, wish there was but there is not. I think the term vaccine preventable deaths is important here rather than just comparing deaths by different means/disorders if you know what i mean.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I say only because compared to more common health issues which are not given the same amount of media it is small. More people die from asthma every single year than died in that decade of measles.
    Because of vaccination!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but why are you all so "scared" of measles?? As far as vaccinatable diseases go, measles is fairly unconsiquential. It's one of the diseases parents used to encourage their children catch so as to build natural immunity while they are young and healthy.

I don't buy in to the media hype. Any illness can be "potentially deadly", but that doesn't mean everyone that contracts it will die.

Of course you'd rather not get sick with it, but hey, you'd rather not get sick with a cold either.
    If you are healthy, measles is not "scary". I've had it. So have MANY people in my home community. None of them suffered at all. We were all totally fine.
    Before mass vaccinations started in developing countries in 2002, 2 million peole died of measles every year. They are now down to 200,000 thanks to vaccinations. Not scary indeed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012),Ulysses  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    But unfortunately, the constant bombardment of these fear-feeding articles make the immunising parents unnecessarily terrified too.
    It think you'll find most of the pro vaxxer here are not "unnecessarily terrified", I think you'll also find that most of us do *not* get our information from the daily telegraph

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012),Maybelline  (31-05-2012),Ulysses  (31-05-2012)