+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is MMR the vaccine for measles? Is is, isn't it? Do adults only get that once as children or do we need a booster like hepatitis vaccines?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Is MMR the vaccine for measles? Is is, isn't it? Do adults only get that once as children or do we need a booster like hepatitis vaccines?
    Yep MMR = Measles, Mumps, Rubella and you do need boosters. They usually like you to get it done before you fall pregnant to keep your rubella immunity up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if I were not pregnant and everyone in my family had their Vax's I would not be as scared. From what I hear Measles in a healthy adult is not as threatening as other diseases.

However as Brooke 88 mentioned it can be very debilitating in babies and infants and from what I understand can be very very dangerous for pregnant women and their unborn baby

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

brooke88(mum2b09)  (31-05-2012),Chew the Mintie  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had rubella at age 19 - I was never vaxxed at school due to ongoing illness.

I think it would be awful to be living in a world iwth rampant levels of rubella. Not a serious illness generally, but as women, I think we can imagine how awful it would be to be pregnant and have no immunity to rubella and know that there were outbreaks everywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    I thought if a child was immunized they have an unlikely chance of getting really sick from measles, sure if your children or yourself are not vaccinated then it would be something to worry about.
    They were immunized, and got it 6 weeks later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    They were immunized, and got it 6 weeks later.
    Were they sick from the measles or complications from the illness, like my child got a flu virus the other week but it was the complications from the illness that made her sicker than her classmates who had it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    Were they sick from the measles or complications from the illness, like my child got a flu virus the other week but it was the complications from the illness that made her sicker than her classmates who had it.
    They were irritable for a few days and then broke out head to toe in the rash. Then they were really drowsy and lethargic and had temps of just under 40. Had a few hospital trips where measles were confirmed and we just had to keep them hydrated, they had the spots for almost 2 weeks but got better around day 10 or so.
    We were told they were that ill from the measles, they didn't really have a lot of the cold/flu like symptoms.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 31-05-2012 at 09:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but why are you all so "scared" of measles?? As far as vaccinatable diseases go, measles is fairly unconsiquential. It's one of the diseases parents used to encourage their children catch so as to build natural immunity while they are young and healthy.

I don't buy in to the media hype. Any illness can be "potentially deadly", but that doesn't mean everyone that contracts it will die.

Of course you'd rather not get sick with it, but hey, you'd rather not get sick with a cold either.
    If you are healthy, measles is not "scary". I've had it. So have MANY people in my home community. None of them suffered at all. We were all totally fine.
    I've yet to hear of anyone getting brain damage from a common cold.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (31-05-2012),Lumpy Melon  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but why are you all so "scared" of measles?? As far as vaccinatable diseases go, measles is fairly unconsiquential. It's one of the diseases parents used to encourage their children catch so as to build natural immunity while they are young and healthy.

I don't buy in to the media hype. Any illness can be "potentially deadly", but that doesn't mean everyone that contracts it will die.

Of course you'd rather not get sick with it, but hey, you'd rather not get sick with a cold either.
    If you are healthy, measles is not "scary". I've had it. So have MANY people in my home community. None of them suffered at all. We were all totally fine.
    It's not that people are scared because they don't want to catch it, it's that they are scared of what it, an the complications that come with it, can do to our children/unborn children!

I'm sure if you knew someone who had brain damage, or the like, from measles you would have a very different view!

Just because you were fine doesn't mean everyone will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    They were irritable for a few days and then broke out head to toe in the rash. Then they were really drowsy and lethargic and had temps of just under 40. Had a few hospital trips where measles were confirmed and we just had to keep them hydrated, they had the spots for almost 2 weeks but got better around day 10 or so.
    We were told they were that ill from the measles, they didn't really have a lot of the cold/flu like symptoms.
    Poor kids, but it sounds like the vaccine was working as their little bodies were fighting off the infection.

And that's what the newspaper article is really about ,vaccinating, not that we suddenly have an outbreak of measles as measles has always been around and with many visitors to our country from places of high risk we will always have it in our community so it is about protecting ourselves.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

brooke88(mum2b09)  (31-05-2012),steel magnolia  (31-05-2012)