+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Reflux and gaviscon, my baby is acting strange!

We realised a couple of days ago that my 7 week old son has reflux (i know it sounds terrible, we didn't realise his symptom weren't normal). He saw our gp today and they said to use infant gaviscon. We started him on it tonight, he's been using a size 2 teet but the milk wasn't coming out! we had some size 3 but it seemed to be too fast!
    He was SO much more unsettled than usual, he couldn't get calm. After 3 terrible feeds where he thrashed, pulled off and cried non stop i gave up and made him a regular bottle with a size 2 teet and after about 50ml he is sound asleep and calm.
    I don't understand how it could have had that effect on him, even when he was pretty happy between feeds he was kicking, twisting and swinging his arms around in a really jerky way (more tan normal).
    Does anyone have any idea what's going on? any ideas on what i should do? to be honest he seemed happier with the reflux (even with all the issues, no signs of reflux since the first gaviscon bottle)
    help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    how are you giving the gaviscon?

we started with mylanta and would give it be syringe before the feed. maybe you could give it seperate to the bottle to see if it is him reacting to the gaviscon or reacting to the different bottle teat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah Id try Using a syringe before or after a bottle (before is normally easier). He may be so unsettled because it tastes funny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, so we've worked it out the syringe unfortunately didn't work even though he used to have wind mix from one he didn't seem to like it.
    So what we did was make his normal 150ml bottle then pour 30 out into a little bottle and put the gaviscon in there and put a size 3 on that on but a 2 on the big bottle. We give him the gaviscon bottle first when he's hungry and doesn't mind the fast flow, then he moves onto the big bottle! Complicated but works a treat! He's settled down now and has actually slept through In his cot the last 3 nights! For the last month he'd slept in the bouncer with me next to him on the lounge at least 6 nights a week so we have a very happy household!
    Hope this helps someone else if they're having the same trouble we did

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wishingmum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (04-06-2012)