+ Reply to Thread
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Going back to work is getting very real now and I am scared. *LONG-ISH*

Hi All,

I have a 9mo DD and my DP isn't a high wage earner but because I worked for a month last year and then had bub and received the paid parental leave pay I am not entitled to a penny from centrelink at all even FTB.

Money is very tight but we are good at budgeting and are getting by... JUST.

I have been having trouble getting interviews for a few months which I have never had this kind of problem before but it's been a nightmare trying for months. In the last 2 days, I have been asked to 2 interviews and 1 phone interview.

It's starting to get very real now, that I could possibly be lucky enough to get a job and then I would be back at work. But it seems my head is picking every tiny detail about every job as if I'm some how trying to talk myself out of it.

So I have a dilemma, come July, I should be entitled to some help form centrelink which would make life easier and allow me to look after DD and also continue to study (I am presently studying a Diploma through correspondance).

Or B, sieze the day and keep on trying for jobs.

Is it hard to return to work? How did you manage? Whats the process like to set up child care? Were you doubtful before returning?

My parents live in two different states (one is in tas even) and I only have my sister around here and my nan who has a lot on her plate. I don't have many friends and I'm feeling very alone and confused and would love some advice from working hubbers.

I don't know if I am just being like this because I am scared or if I'm not ready.

Sorry for the length of this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No one has any advice?

Okay then....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's such a tough decision

I have done it all over the past 6 years. Worked, studies, worked&studied and was a sahm for a while too...

I enjoyed them all in different ways. Being a sahm was great, but after 12 months I was over it. I love working but it depends on the job. Studying was probably the hardest, especially if you are considering being a sahm as well - although it can be done, you've just got to be really disciplined about your schedule.

As with anything, I would say to go with your gut. If you really really dont want to go back to work, then I'd do the study thing. You might find though that after the decision is made, and you are back at work things will settle easily.

Daycare availability depends on your location but the two options that people use most are long daycare, or family daycare ( I'm a huge fan of family daycare for the younger kids, but that's just my opinion . If you are considering going back to work, I'd start looking at child are options. If you are low income, you will get a pretty good child care benefit from centrelink, and you'll also get 50% off your out of pocket costs on childcare. So ringing centrelink as a starting point would give you a better idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is hard to consider going back to work, especially after your first bub. But, in my experience, going back to work is fantastic! And earning extra money is great. Not sure where you are based, but hopefully you can get childcare quickly. There was some adjustment at first- for both me and bub- so I would recommend starting daycare a week or 2 before you go back to work so both of you can get used to it. And don't worry too much if you and/or bub have a few tears at drop off time: it will settle down and she'll enjoy being with the other kids. Good luck with whatever you choose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Addison  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses to my questions. It's helped me see things a bit clearer. I had a job interview tonight and I think I am ready to go back to work but this job interview did show me that I would like to be closer to home (it was an hour away without peak hour traffic, so who knows how long in peak). Our DD goes to bed at 6:30-7pm so this job I had the interview for today would mean I wouldn't get home until probably around 6pm and I think that for me, I would get down about not seeing bub for at least a couple of hours an evening. So at least now I have established a clearer view I just have to hope that something local comes up for me and then I will have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again heaps everyone xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs love. I found it difficult deciding to go back to work, albeit part time. Now I'm back though I wouldn't swap it for the world.

I think you're right in having an idea of what hours work for you (I wouldn't cope having late finishes either).

I honestly can say I haven't once regretted going back! I was in a bit of a funk for various reasons (pnd, dh working away for 21days every month, loss of identity).

The first few weeks are difficult. If I have any advice it would be to be organized so you don't feel stresses getting ready for work and planning ahead for meals etc.

Good luck! I hope you find a job that suits you and your family