Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 year old waking at 11 pm

my (almost) 2 year old ds has taken to waking at 11 pm

His bedtime routine is

Dinner at 4.30, bath at 5.30 and bed at 6pm

if he stays up any later he gets over it and is HYPER but he is now crashing at 6pm and waking at 11pm this in itself would NOT be a problem if a few nights of this ment he would have a nap during the day (but he wont sleep during the day, hasnt for months)

so now he is going 7/8 AM - 6 pm wide awake 6-11pm sleep, sleep 11pm - 3 or 4 AM WIDE AWAKE 4 am - 7/8am sleep

This is really not okay but I have NO IDEA how to fix it, Ive sought advice and all I get is ignore him / leave him to cry / if it was my kid it wuold not be doing that for long but honestly how the F do you a) keep a child who is very tired awake or b) make a child who is NOT tired sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    how long is he awake when he is waking?

what does he have in his bed? my 2 y.o. dd takes a torch, photo album, teddy, book and whatever else takes her fancy for the day. at first i was doubtful, but the torch actually works well cos if she wakes, she will often read her book or look at her photos and then go back to sleep.

we talk about it being ok to wake up, but you should stay in bed and do x,y,z and try to go back to sleep.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We co-sleep so if I've gone to bed i'm in there if not I go in.

He will be awake for 3/4 hours usually before he goes back down.

He doesn't understand staying in bed yet.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could he be ready for his own sleeping surface now? We co slept and then dd moved to a side car cot when she was around 15 months old. When she was ready for changes, they actually improved her sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nah, he wont sleep in a bed by himself longer than 2 hours, I honestly have nfi what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the cot set up against our bed with one side missing, so it was like a continuation of the main bed. i could cuddle, hold hands or even breastfeed with bub on the cot mattress and me mainly on the bed mattress.

Initially, she would spend the first part of the night in the cot and then come over to the main bed. Over time, she stayed longer and longer in the cot.

Have you read the 'no cry sleep solution'?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the book,
    We moved the cot sidecar when Ds was 14 months and have since graduated to a single bed hoping more space and a comfy mattress would fix the issue.

He is not usually to hard to get to go down to sleep now he just flakes super early and is waking in the middle of the night as a result.

He's asleep again now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe he's hungry? 4:30 dinner is very early.
    We went through a faze where the girls kept waking all night and it drove me insane, lasted 6 months.
    We started introducing supper so they were going to bed with full bellies and we haven't had a problem since.

ETA unfortunately it's very common for kids to go through a stage of waking up during the night again, very frustrating! Made even more so by not helpful advice such as ignore it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 21mth old DD did the 11pm-3am wake up session just this week.

and then was fine the next night.

If its going on longer than a week then its more than a phase... less and I'm going to say to ride it out.

he might need a later bedtime and more food before bed. DD has dinner at 5/5.30 and then dessert at 6(yoghurt) then milk at 7 (250-350mL).

HTH and my sympathies to you. I

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 yr molars?? or over tired? My DS is 18 months but does this from time to time. Last week we had a random night where he was awake from 1am to 6am!! Arrrrgh. Thankfully it was only one night. Sorry not much help but my DS does that when teething sometimes and wakes more when overtired. Tough when he refuses a nap. Mine has done that already on a couple of occasions so I'm worried he will quit naps early too. I hope it resolves for you quickly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post: