+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF cost & medicare safety net

Hi ladies,
    I'm about to start my first IVF cycle in 3 weeks. My clinic charges $7,106 not included anesthetist, hospital stay for EPU & Transfer which will be around 2k.
    I haven't yet reach Medicare safety net yet. Another $650 to go
    Im so confused right now about how to calculate how much I will get back.

Cost of my IVF will be separate to 4 items. First one will be around $5,500 then 200, 900 & 500 = $7,100

1) is that mean I'll have to pay first item full cost ($ 5,500)and got rebate 80% back from the rest of the items? Or they will take $650 off 7,100 then rebate 80% back from $6,450 (7,100 - 650 )

2) any way I can reach safety net faster? I thinking to go see doctor everyday and ask for US or BT so I can reach safety net.

3) any waiting period for phi? I'm with medibank for 6 months already.

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, it's my understanding they'll take the $650 out then rebate 80% of the remainder. With my first cycle I got more back than expected an dh seems to think that's why. I could be wrong though. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's impossible to work out. I don't bother, just get the amount back after the cycle and what it is it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there

With this upcoming cycle you will meet the safety net - with the cost of the cycle and out of pockets that should put you there. Medicare is so so confusing. My clinic electronically submits with Medicare and I get $$$ in bank account in about 3-5 days I find they are very good.

For example I have only done 1 FET this year and already got the note from medicare saying that we are close to meeting the threshold. We will shortly for another stim cycle and will have met the safetynet for this.

If yuo are not coverd for insurance then the OOP expenses like hospital etc you can claim on your taxes - currently you can claim 20% of the cost once you have spent over $2K in the financial year although this year I think it is changing and will be means tested more unfort.

I am with Latrobe and they are good - although like anyway they all have waiting periods.

I personally dont think there is any point trying to get blood tests etc to reach the safety net limit sooner as the limit is based on OOP expenses.

Hope your upcoming cycle goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to you all ladies
    I think I won't be cover by my phi then since there is 12 waiting period. Bugger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Phi pays very little for ivf other than the hospital fee. It's a complete waste of time for ivf. Great though when you get bubs and go private