+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help me get my head around expressing!

Hi, hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have about expressing breast milk. My DD is 2 weeks tomorrow and I'd like to start a small store of breast milk for the freezer so DH or grandparents can feed if I'm out etc.
    I won't need a heap, I suppose just a little for the 1-2 times a week DD may be babysat. I have. Medela swing breast pump (haven't used it yet lol).
    So;
    1. When do I express? Before feeding? After DD feeds? Between feeds?
    2. Do I express from both breasts or just one? And do I empty the breast?
    3. How often should I Express? I assume just once a day to get enough for the 1-2 feeds a week I'll need.
    TIA...so much to learn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I expressed in the mornings after Ds nursed so if I went out I didn't have to defrost milk etc.

Or I would express an hour or so before leaving

But I could pump a full bottle and nurse no worries so I never bothered with the having to defrost milk thing

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    I expressed in the mornings after Ds nursed so if I went out I didn't have to defrost milk etc.

Or I would express an hour or so before leaving

But I could pump a full bottle and nurse no worries so I never bothered with the having to defrost milk thing

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    yep same thing here. BM can last few hours at room temp and saves on defrosting/reheating etc. you ahve the most milk first thing in the morning so feed from one side and pump from the other.

I wouldnt quite start now as your supply is still settlign and you coudl end up with oversupply/mastitis. not saying you will but i'd wait till 6wks before expressing. also its not best to introduce a bottle so early.... again wait till 6wks or so for bub to get used to you and boobs.

but when you eventually start expressing - you could either do it just before you leave to go out or make it part of a routine ie every second day you express a bit and it slowly builds up that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm well im practically a dairy cow and make bucket loads of milk, so doesnt matter too much when i express haha.

But with DD I would attach her to one side, then catch the stuff with the pump (manual pump so just took it easy) that was running out of my other breast as she was feeding. Wouldnt completely empty the breast, as DD always insisted on having that second boob when finished with the first!

Anyway didnt take long to build up a stock of frozen milk collecting the stuff that would otherwise be wasted down the front of my top

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks so much for your quick responses. I'm glad you mentioned waiting til 6ish weeks to start expressing, I'd hate to give myself mastitis because of oversupply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to pop in and mention the Australian Breastfeeding Association Helpline (1800 686 268) it's open 24hr and they are great to answer any questions you have about expressing (and breastfeeding in general)