+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wierd and wonderful cold and flu remedies?

I have an 11.5 month old that has suffered terribly with colds/ear infection/gastro over the past 5 weeks.

I have had numerous trips to the docs and have been using traditional medicine (paracetomol, ibuprofen and a course of antibiotics for the ear infection).

I am the kind of person that will reach for the above medications when necessary but am also interested in treating symptoms with natural remedies where possible, and as long as they are safe.

I've been using a vaporiser, eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree oils, vicks chest rub on his chest and feet and have just introduced garlic into his meals. I also give him inner health plus probiotics twice a day while he is unwell.

Out of interest I googled other remedies for colds and came across some information about putting onions in their socks when they go to bed and a poultice made from mashed potato applied to the chest for congestion !

Does anyone have any tried and tested home remedies for colds that they believe work???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make a tea from boiling peppercorns, bay leaves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, a piece of ginger and cinnamon stick for 10min.

we call it fever tea in our place and honestly works everytime. I've stopped using panadol/nurofen to reduce fevers and clear cold/cough/flu etc.

My DH and bestie (who is a doc) scoff at me cos its not scientifically proven etc but DD is 21mths old and has not had to use panadol for a fever yet!!! Plus whatever she has clears in 12-16hrs.

When I was Bfing her - I'd have it and then she'd get some of it... but as she got older I used to just give her some with honey to sweeten it a bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (30-05-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try tissue salts (a homeopathic remedy) the teething ones a good for lots of things, not just teething. Same with the teething amber beads, great for ear infections. Steam therapy is fantastic, with a vaporizer or in the bath (run the shower to steam up the room whilst bubs is in the bath). Giving bubs a massage with a little bit of lavender in oil will help relax bubs and help them sleep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I second the tissue salts, probiotics every day ( sick or not) plus fish oil with vit D, I put garlic and fresh herbs in just about everything DS eats!
    after 12 months a teaspoon of manuka honey a day ( natural antiseptic and helps sore throat) If they have a cough/cold/sore throat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    I make a tea from boiling peppercorns, bay leaves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, a piece of ginger and cinnamon stick for 10min.

we call it fever tea in our place and honestly works everytime. I've stopped using panadol/nurofen to reduce fevers and clear cold/cough/flu etc.

My DH and bestie (who is a doc) scoff at me cos its not scientifically proven etc but DD is 21mths old and has not had to use panadol for a fever yet!!! Plus whatever she has clears in 12-16hrs.

When I was Bfing her - I'd have it and then she'd get some of it... but as she got older I used to just give her some with honey to sweeten it a bit.
    This sounds lovely, although I doubt my DS will drink it. He won't eat anything from a spoon that I offer him and won't drink anything from a cup unless it is water.

Sounds like a lovely tea for when I am feeling unwell though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
    Try tissue salts (a homeopathic remedy) the teething ones a good for lots of things, not just teething. Same with the teething amber beads, great for ear infections.
    I've been trying the Brauer Homeopathic remedies. Are these the same thing? Where do you get the tissue salts from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    ]
    after 12 months a teaspoon of manuka honey a day ( natural antiseptic and helps sore throat) If they have a cough/cold/sore throat
    Thanks Forgot about Manuka. This is why I love BH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    omg I just saw the title of this thread and was coming on here to say the "cut onion inside the socks at soles of feet overnight" thing! I haven't done it but I know a woman who has and swears by it. Apparently a cut onion on a plate beside the head of the unwell sleeper is good too.

I'm not sure if it is suitable for children but I have used olive leaf extract (from chemist) to fight common cold. I found it quite good.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Colloidal silver, elderberry and olive leaf extract. Also adding turmeric and paprika sweet or hot to meals. Any warming spices help so nutmeg, cinnamon would also be good. I did this last week after getting really run down from almost of 3 weeks of 18-20hr days and crummy sleep and had the flu coming on. Within 2 days i was better, SIL who got sick before me is feeling horrible but won't try my hippy stuff. Oh well can't make her.I gave the above to dd3 as well as pentavite multi vitamin and cold and flu relief as she was looking like she was comig down with it too and she's fine also. We've all gotten better so much faster since i started using the first 3 last winter after terrible dragging on colds and prolonged chesty coughs and dd2 had to have a hernia removed with surgery.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Chicken soup should not be underestimated either!!!