+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bottle feeding EBM

Well our little man was born 5 weeks premmie and has only come out of special care at 14 days old. We have attempted breast feeding over the last 2 days and although the LC assures me I'm doing everything right, we just can't get a good latch and I'm cracked and bleeding a little already.

So as I've been expressing anyway as he's been tube fed, I'm going to continue to do so and am bottle feeding him EBM as I need to get him out of the hospital and home. I've got 2 other girls who are fretting at home because of my prolonged absences over the past 2 weeks.

Please don't judge me, I'm looking for support not criticism. Does anyone have tips on expressing and successfully bottle feeding? If so, how did you manage it? Tips and hints??!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Congrats on your baby boy and definitely no judgement from me! You do what you have to do for you and your family

My best bit of advice would be that when you express, try to make sure you are draining them, as I wasn't careful enough and ended up with mastitis.

Holding your bub while expressing may help with letdown, and I hired a top of the range electric breast pump which helped as it made it less time consuming.

Good luck, I'm sure others will have lots more and probably better advice for you. Hope you get to take your bub home ASAP!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely get an electric pump, it worth hiring a hospital grade pump. Once you have a good stash, if you want to it would be great to keep trying breastfeeding, much less time consuming! But I think it's fantastic that you are persisting with expressing rather than giving up and using formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on your little boy and again, no judgement here! I couldn't help but notice your thread and thought this might help if you are in the market for electric pumps. These are pumps reviewed by our members - http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...c-breast-pumps

All the best!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Congrats on your baby boy. My friends baby is 3 months old and she has expressed and bottle fed him since he was about 6 weeks old. She uses a medela swing pump and the medela calma bottles and teats. She has built up a supply in her freezer also. She said it was difficult at the beginning but now she finds it manageable. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The ABA are there to provide info and support, and they hire breast pumps too. Here are some links to info you might find handy.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/premature.html
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk

you can call them on 1800 686 2 686

When bub gets a bit bigger and stronger, they can get back to the breast full time too, which will make things easier for you.

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Firstly, you are awesome

My DS2 was born at 31+5 and was tube fed ebm, then ebm in a bottle while we got feeding sorted - he was tiny, had a huge tongue tie etc...It took until he was four months actual age to have him totally breastfed.

I was also three hrs away from my DH and older two kids, so I totally understand that pain.

My tips

*Pump no less than every three hours during the day and four hrly overnight
    *hire a hospital grade pump but also get a hand pump - I found that my old avent hand pump in combo with the medela emptied my boobs better and helped my supply long term - also helped with mastitis.
    *Drink loads of water and eat oats, protein, lactation cookies
    *If you want to try bub on boob, get shields and put him on at least every second feed.

If you have other questions, I'm happy to try and help.
    Best of luck xxx