+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've heard that the divorce rates for a second marriage is actually worse than a first marriage.

I find that interesting. I would've thought they would be more likely to last as the couple involved would have a better idea on what NOT to do within a marriage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I've heard that the divorce rates for a second marriage is actually worse than a first marriage.

I find that interesting. I would've thought they would be more likely to last as the couple involved would have a better idea on what NOT to do within a marriage.
    Lol, some people just don't learn from their mistakes I guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Benji  (31-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think more people are leaving violent marriages too. SIL called off her wedding to an abuser 2 days before the wedding date. I imagine if they'd married, they would have been divorced shortly thereafter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Because people don't feel obligated to just stay in unhappy marriages/relationships. And quite frankly there's nothing wrong with that. My parents separated 3 years ago...and mum stayed with him so long because of the kids. She did us no favours and really the decision to stay together for us damaged us more than if she'd have just left a loooooong time ago.

My ex and I divorced because he met someone else and had an affair. Who knows how long we would have continued the marriage in the misery it was....and again we would not have done our kids any favours whatsoever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Sssssshhhhhhhhh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Sssssshhhhhhhhh!
    Lol. Sorry! I didn't want to frighten anybody

I have my suspicions as to why this is the case and it certainly doesn't include getting married again because you love your DH

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    can only speak for myself.
    im in my second truly serious relationship. first one lasted four years. this one twelve and counting.
    im not married as such as its not something im really fussed about.
    personally id want to work through most things, partner willing of course.
    i draw the line for myself, at ongoing physical emotional sexual abuse. first partner overstepped that line.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    My patents got divorced 3 years ago.
    They were married for 26 years.
    Towards to the end my dad admitted to sleeping with over 30 women, had secret relationships and even slept with my mums sister and quite a lot of her friends.
    Dad always worked away so mum says she had no idea.
    She suspected but dad denied it.
    Once mum found out about all his affairs she agreed to try and work things out with him, in the end dad ended up leaving mum for another very young woman.

So mum tried to make thing work and get past it, but dad just didn't want to.

Dad married this new woman and had a baby with her (dad is 60) and he just got another girl pregnant who is due in September whilst he was married to this other woman.

I think in some situations (like my parents) one person wether it be the husband or wife, wants to try and work things out.. But the other just doesn't want to change.
    And a cheating spouse isn't something you can just "accept" if they continue to do it, nor "fix" if the other Isnt wanting to work on the marriage as well.

Their are 2 people in a marriage and sometimes it's just 1 of them that won't change and drive the marriage into the ground.
    Wow, I can't imagine the effect all that has had on your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Because marriage is an outdated institution that doesn't really apply to modern society, yet we cling onto it because of fairy tales, "happily ever after" and wanting "my day".

IMO humans aren't designed to be in one relationship for the majority of their lives. People change, people grow in different directions, people come to want different things... Marriage came about because of property laws, proving paternity etc. Perpetuating it as something that everyone should aspire to, something that everyone is capable of, is quite damaging.

Millions of miserable people - either in unhappy marriages, or divorced thinking that they "failed" or something is wrong with them. When in reality, if we acknowledged that marriage doesn't suit a lot of people, there would be a lot less misery and people would have much more fulfilled lives.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder this too op.

I suspect many couples don't take the time to get to know each other before moving in together, getting married then having kids. They then perhaps think things have changed or they have changed when perhaps it's more the fact that they just never knew each other as well as they first thought.

I was with dh 4yrs before we lived together and then we lived together for 7yrs before we decided we were ready for children so we then got married. By this stage we both knew each other inside and out and knew we would be long life partners, I accepted his ways and he accepted mine. I never had any doubts he would be a terrific father. Unfortunately our dream to become parents didn't happen for a good few more years though but not by choice. IVF just strengthened our relationship all the more and since having our boys life has just got even better. We have had hard times over the years but we have worked through them all, neither of us ever contemplated walking away. We have been together 18yrs, still love each other like crazy and enjoy our life together with our little family and that's how it will always be.