+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High fluid level

Can anyone give me some advice regarding high amniotic fluid level? 38 wks, fluid level has been in the 95th percentile, is now above the 95th percentile. I am concerned, Obstitrician was crap. He was utterly unwilling to consider this could be indicative of an issue, unlike me. A little reassurance would really stop a major freak out which is occurring at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had Polyhydramnios (excess amnio fluid) with my last 2 pregnancies and it is looking like it again with this one... Mine was picked up around the 32w mark..

It is quiet rare in the grand scheme of things and for a small % of those that do get it there is no real reason that can be found as to why... Im in this %

Sometimes it can be because baby has issue's with their kidneys, or the ability to swallow etc also they generally test you for some STI's (can't remember which ones)

Now if all is ok with baby and all tests come back clear like mine did then the concern falls to the effect it can have on your pregnancy, meaning things like pre-term labour, High BP, PPH or due to high level of fluid baby does not actually engage and if water breaks then the concern is that the cord can come first or hands (this was the case with me, when my water was broken) and baby can be breech one day and head down the next...

Now havin said this for me, it meant I spent alot of time at hospital being monitored and baby as well and told even if I THINK my waters have broken to come in ASAP.. I did go on to have 2 very healthy babies and delivered both vaginally without any real major issue's other then DS2 having his hand coming out first until OB pinched his fingers and he pulled arm away and a PPH after he was born.. DD my water broke at home and all was ok..

The fact that you have reached 38w is great and baby is considered full term, im guessing you have known for a while that you had excess amnio and the Dr has been keeping an eye on it? If this is the case then I am sure he/she has ruled out any concerns...

If you are worried I would call Dr again and ask to have a chat about it all..

Sorry just wanted to add to be prepared for LOTS and LOTS of water.. lol When I went to hospital after my water broke with DD, I had to be hooked up to machine to check her for 20 mins and by the time I got off bed I was soaked and I mean soaked, I was sitting in a puddle of water that ran off the bed as I moved. The MW was open mouthed said in her 30 odd yrs of being a MW she had never seen anyone with that much water.. I went for a walk with DH to see if I could get contractions moving and put on 3 pads and within 2 mins was back on ward due to leaking everywhere.. I was told by another stupid MW, that I should have put a pad on and when I pulled out 3 she was speechless..
    Last edited by MrsPee; 30-05-2012 at 19:54.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsPee For This Useful Post:

SD78  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. The fluid monitoring is actually quite recent, only the last three weeks. The previous results were in the normal range, but at the 95th percentile, this week, has gone above the acceptable range, but have been offered no explanation, no further information or monitoring and when I asked about an ultrasound, was told there was no point as it was too late on. I appreciate the information you have given me greatly, and will contact the hospital in the morning to try and speak to someone a bit more helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey SD78,
    How did you get on with the hospital? You have been on my mind and I just wanted to check that you were ok???

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsPee For This Useful Post:

SD78  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second everything MrsP said as my experience with polyhydramnios was similar. I was told to go to the hospital to have a slow rupture of my waters to prevent a prolapse. This is where the doctor ruptures the membranes but then holds her hand over the rupture to release the amniotic fluid slowly. It was a little uncomfortable but not too horrible. The amount of fluid is unbelievable - it soaked through towel after towel and I was thankful that I wasn't out shopping or anything or they would have had to evacuate due to rising flood waters!! So my advice would be to stay close to home and ring an ambulance as soon as your waters rupture just to be on the safe side. Good luck with everything. Oh, and my babies were fine... no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, thanks again guys. Went up to the hospital the following day to getsomeclarification,but this has been more helpful than they were! Still not going to be given a scan, as they don't see the point now, which is frustrating, but nothing I can do. Asked about needing to get to the hospital quicker than a normal delivery would, and they seemed surprised I'd suggested it, but that yeah it was probably a good idea! Going again on Wednesday, although stressing at waiting that long, and depending on results, may try to push for an induction ASAP. Don't want to even consider suddenly not having a child at thistimebevause they don't seem as worried as me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hope you have your bub really soon. Maybe bubs will try & escape all the fluid by coming in the next couple of days!

You could always try ringing the midwives every day (just once a day) and say how worried you are. If you get someone helpful they may even explain why the doctors weren't worried, or if they are concerned they can speak to another doctor on your behalf. You could even ask if you could go in for ctg monitoring (?every 2nd day).

I had heaps of fluid with my dd, but I wasn't out of the 'normal' range - just at the top end. She was born by induction (I had gestational diabetes & she was big - the fluid didn't factor in) at 39+3. They broke my waters as part of the induction and said there was a lot of fluid in there - more than they expected and definitely well above average apparently. It didn't cause any issues though, but did mean I weighed a lot less when I got home from hospital . But, seriously, high fluid can mean a lot of things, so I say keep annoying them for answers.