+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The other day at my daughter's party, he just went up and punched my other friend's son in the face. She saw it and turned away.
    I would have to say something to either the boy "you don't hit other kids, that's not nice" or the mother (kid not around) "that was unacceptable. Might be good to nip that in the bud before a kid wallops him back."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have loads of friends (and family) with very very different parenting philosophies to mine.....

The beauty of having excellent friends in my opinion is that you can recognise each others differences, talk openly about them and decide together a new way forward,

For example I have a friend that is very very extremely overprotective of her DD, and I am actually the opposite. We have spoken about our difference and come up with a 'plan' for how we will handle parenting situations when we are together...... We continually chat about, and consult each other during visits.

In fact most of my good girlfriends are the same.....

I occasionally smack, some of my friends smack more, some never do - the trick is recognise the boundaries (eg. Don't suggest tips to friends that you know conflict with their style!)....

I would only walk away from a friendship if my friend didn't give me the same courtesy that I was giving her, and if attempts to communicate and compromise had failed. Having said that I wouldn't write them off forever..... I have friends that I've lost contact with for various reasons who have come back into my life later on when we'd moved on to a different stage of life

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (30-05-2012),peanutmonkey  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My BFF has a more laid back parenting style than me (kids stay up to all hours). I bite my tongue and would only mention something if I thought her kids were at risk or if my boy/family was negatively affected.

She's a really good friend so I'll cut her a little slack on the differences...

Thanks
    Reviews
    In general I don't bother saying anything, if it's at my house I was we don't hit in this house or we pack up before we go outside here or whatever is relevant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted
    Last edited by JaneDoe; 30-05-2012 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would have to say something to either the boy "you don't hit other kids, that's not nice" or the mother (kid not around) "that was unacceptable. Might be good to nip that in the bud before a kid wallops him back."
    I didn't see it happen, my husband only told me the next day

I have contemplated saying something so many times, but it's not really my place. When she has told me problems she is having, I have given her advice, and that's all I can do.

And I do say something to her child when he hurts mine, but I shouldn't have to, she should!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 31-05-2012 at 05:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My BFF has a more laid back parenting style than me (kids stay up to all hours). I bite my tongue and would only mention something if I thought her kids were at risk or if my boy/family was negatively affected.

She's a really good friend so I'll cut her a little slack on the differences...

LOL I have a friend like you - I can see her bite her lip when DD is out with us late at night or I've mentioned that she is fighting sleep etc.

I try to organize catch ups when it suits her (very rarely suits us but luckily DD is very easygoing and copes well if she is in a new situation) every couple of weeks.

She also knows that I sometimes bite my tongue when she leaves early cos its her kids nap time.

but i love her lots and will do almost anything for her

Guest Guest
    It's none of my business how my friends parent their children. Who am I to say my parenting methods are right and hers are wrong? We're all different and it doesn't impact our friendships at all, I really have never come across it or had those thoughts to end a friendship.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (30-05-2012),Super Trooper  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't really do "mummy friends," and if I do, I only see them because our kids are friends, or I see them without their kids mostly, so it's not really an issue.

I find it hard to deal with people who do things I find are not good choice (not just differences of opinion... but I'm not going to warm to you if you're complaining you can't afford your kid's lunches for school and they're wearing thongs in Winter cos you can't afford proper shoes... all while you're smoking and drinking and organising a party at your place...).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I don't really do "mummy friends," and if I do, I only see them because our kids are friends, or I see them without their kids mostly, so it's not really an issue.

I find it hard to deal with people who do things I find are not good choice (not just differences of opinion... but I'm not going to warm to you if you're complaining you can't afford your kid's lunches for school and they're wearing thongs in Winter cos you can't afford proper shoes... all while you're smoking and drinking and organising a party at your place...).
    What if you're wearing thongs in winter because they're comfy and you don't have to bend your pregnant butt down to put them on?
    I have friends (and family) who parent much differently to me. I'm fine with it. I figure they probably cook and clean and sing differently to me as well, and like others have said, as long as it's not affecting me I just mind my own business.