+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But like lil miss has pointed out, it doesnt tend to be so overt, ie i couldnt imagine say a 28yo scoffing and rolling her eyes at a 38yo in a public baby changroom for example. Whereas 18yo do cop overt scoffing, rolling eyes, nasty comments. But maybe 35+ mothers do get inappropriate comments from strangers too? I dont know, i havent been one :P

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm surprised that under 25 is classified as a young parent.

Anyway, I think there are positives and negatives to being a 'young' and 'old' mum. I had DS at 22 and am rediscovering my freedom while I am still in my 20s (just!)

I will have one more baby, but this time around I will be an 'old' mum. No more dreams of early retirement, disposable income, sleep ins for some time once I have my bub.

Maybelline, I don't want DS to become a parent at 18. Only because he's going to be a rocket scientist, nobel prize winning high achiever!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can't believe some of the judgment!

My mum had me at 17, at least I grew up knowing that to judge someone based on something as irrelevant as the age they become a mother just makes the judge look like a fool.

I never wanted for anything. My mother worked her *** off to make sure I had all I need and then a bit more. I'm glad I had a young mum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (30-05-2012),~Marigold~  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had ds1 at age 17 ds2 at 19and dd at 21 and I'm now turning 24 in July and get a few looks but I tend to ignore them don't let them get to you I'm sure ur a good mum so all u need to worry about is u and ur kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the quote "what other people think of me is none of my business".

I look at young people with kids and think it's lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chookylaa View Post
    on the flip side, does anyone think first time older mums (35+) get judged as well?
    For being career driven or infertile or travelling or enjoying their youth to much to settle down and reproduce?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Yes I do think they get judged aswell (I to feel like a pp that it's not quite to the same depths as judging a young mother) I feel for them aswell. I don't judge them at all. They have done what worked for them. My mother and father were mid 30's when they had kids. I also have 4 best friends in their 40's with very young children and I am gobsmacked at their energy (I wish I had it and I am 23 lol)

I find those who do the judging the most are elderly or those who don't fit the stereotypical brackets but then again I may be wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I don't think older mothers get judged on the same level as young mums.
    If they are judged it's certainly not the open, socially acceptable judgement that young mothers cop!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh... im 25 and have a 1yo and I get the looks all the time

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    These threads always turn out like this

I judge too. But I judge on actions, not on stereotypes. If people see me doing something wrong by my kids, judge away (and I doubt anyone would...) But don't judge me for my age. It has nothing to do with it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

roz2288  (30-05-2012),SugarSkull  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    The only way you can avoid 'young parent' judgement is by not becoming a young parent.

There's valid reasons why young parents are looked down on, and it's just a fact of life that won't easily slide from society.
    That's a bit harsh these valid reasons don't apply to all young parents the people that look down on young parent need to mind there own business and stop being so judgmental not all young parents are in it for money reasons or whatever reasons people think I became a young mum at age 17 due to having perthies disease which means my hip bone grinds and I'll need a hip replacement and if I had of waited to have kids my hip would have had more wear from day to day living so it was what my dh and I decided .And if I had my time again I wouldn't change a thing