+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    just finishing high school (hopefully) then having a child..is really not a good thing..most likely they have not worked (a proper job)..have no
    money..not set up with a house..steady relationship..maturity..understanding of life..emotions..brain fully developed..

and yes not all 35 year olds have achieved this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't even think it matters if you have kids, age discrimination will happen when you around certain ppl. I used to get it at work a lot and I am sure it was just jealousy. Most of the mums in my kids class are in their late 30s - 40s but they are enjoying life and never give grief to the couple of young mums that I have seen, heck I wish I had had kids when I was their age! When I was preg my friends daughter who was turning 16 was also having a bub and I was 30 and asking her for advice lol so believe me not all us oldies think young ppl are incapable mothers. I love the saying my bro uses ( he had kids when in his teens) " everyone is entitled to their opinion" as long as it is not abusive then just think of it as those ppl expressing their jealousy that you have beautiful kids and won't be near retirement when they are finishing school

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 26 and people think I'm 19, I'm only 158cm and have adult acne (PCOS) which is probably why. I get dirty looks all the time when I take my 6yo niece out, I don't have children of my own yet. I once had two old biddies bagging me out under their breath when I was out buying baby gear for my cousin who was 17. My friend had her first at 14 and another 3 before she turned 21. She is one of the most dedicated mothers I know.
    My comeback always is that 50 years ago, I you weren't married with 2 kids by 20, something was wrong with you.

Edited to add-there are many older mums (40+) these days who are criticised for leaving it so late, choosing career over family etc. They may have been trying for the last 10 years. People will always judge, we just have to learn to not care. As long as someone is a good, caring mum, who cares how old they are!
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 30-05-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 26 and had ds at 25 and I found I got looks from older people all the time. I do look quite young for my age, my partner is 30 and even he looks younger than me!

And as for not becoming a young parent....there are lots of crappy older parents out there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is crap parents everywhere..but really is having a child at 18 something you would want your kid to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    just finishing high school (hopefully) then having a child..is really not a good thing..most likely they have not worked (a proper job)..have no
    money..not set up with a house..steady relationship..maturity..understanding of life..emotions..brain fully developed..

Uh I had my first daughter less then a year after I finished high school. I had been with my now DH for 12 months when we found out I was pregnant. I worked in retail. We have now been together for 6 years, married for 6 months and are expecting our third daughter. Its attitudes like that that make my skin crawl. As parents it doesn't matter how young or old we all go through the same emotions, the same challenges and triumphs as parents. Why can't we forget age and just focus on supporting each other?!

And if my daughter came to me at 16 or 17 or even 37 I would support her in whatever decision she made. Because I know that just because she might be pregnant at 16 doesn't mean the end of the world or that she will never amount to anything. She can still finish school, still go to uni (if that's the path she wants to take), still travel and experience life.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 30-05-2012 at 19:27.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

CMF  (30-05-2012),mishh  (18-07-2012),spitthedummy  (30-05-2012),Super Trooper  (30-05-2012),The C Team  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im 25 have three kids under 6 and most people are okay.
    i do look younger than i really am.
    there is one lady whom every time she sees me with df and kids or just df alone with kids etc
    she "tsk tsk" and shakes her head.
    shake all ya like lady!
    we're happy!

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that becoming a mother in your teenage years poses some bigger hurdles, but that doesn't mean that a teenage mum can't be a bloody good mother. I have noticed that I am much more mature than people 10 years my senior, sometimes even more and it has been like that for a long time. I find it really sad that people constantly sit in judgement of others. Honestly unless you have 'walked a mile in their shoes' you don't know anything about them and have no right to judge them!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is one of my biggest gripes. I had DS at 17.. yes, back then I expected the looks, I looked my age. But, I'll be 30 this year and I still look like I'm in my early 20's, max. I still get asked for ID!! Complete strangers comment on mhow DS and I look like brother and sister! He's in year 7 now and I could probably pass for a high school student myself. I hate it! Everyone who asks my age cannot believe when I say 29.. it's always the same.. "Oh, I thought you were about 21.."
    And people say, take it as a compliment, you'll be glad when you're 40 and still look 30, etc.. but I'm so over it. Even last week at my hospital appointment, the midwife asked if this was my first baby, I said no, my second, she asked how old my first "baby" was, I said "12" and her jaw just drops.. I'm soooo sick of it. Then I say "Oh, I had him young" and they say "I bet you did!"
    Even now, 8 months pregnant, I get stares, especially in the hospital waiting room. And I look around and think to myself, I guarantee I'm older than all of you in here, lol..
    And don't get me started on the looks I get when out with DS and he calls out "mum".. and I answer!
    Not sure how long this will go for. Maybe forever?!! Even when I get all dressed up and have a face full of makeup on, makes no difference. I'm told I have a "baby face". Some might consider me lucky, but just for once, I'd love to look like an adult, the full grown woman that I am!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 30-05-2012 at 19:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post

Wow what a gross generalisation. I was barely a year out of school when i had DD... I have put myself through 7 years of uni, have never not worked (from the age of 13!!), and bought my first house at 21.

My best friend who had her first baby just before we did our hsc has a now 7yo and 4yo, also done 6 years of uni and is now a doctor in a large hospital, and has just married her partner of 11 years.

Shall we start making gross generalisations about older mums now?
    *shakes head*

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (30-05-2012),BornToBe  (19-07-2012),chameleon  (30-05-2012),Etienne  (01-06-2012),majo  (31-05-2012),MoonMoon  (30-05-2012),PuppyGuts  (31-05-2012),sunshine81  (01-06-2012),The C Team  (18-07-2012),Theophania  (30-05-2012)