+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low muscle tone?

My sons Gymbaroo teacher thinks he has low muscle tone and thinks we need to see an OT.

She basis this on his inability to sit still and follow instructions well.

I am not sure, he is only over 2 yo...
    He follows instructions fairly well at home and he likes to be the centre of attention so thats why sitting still doesnt suit him. I dont wont to have blinkers on, and if there is something that needs to be addresses i will do it, but also dont want to fork out all this money to see an OT if not needed.

So bub hubbers, who has had some experience with this? Did the OT help or not? What are your thoughts? Dr google has lots of different opinions on this issue.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hello, i have low muscle tone, and so do both of my sons (they got it from me in fact) an OT definitely helps them both with this, it has such a huge impact on so many aspects of their lives, if your child does have it, then i would definitely reccomend getting assessed. Getting help sooner rather than later is very beneficial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have low muscle tone and so do all 3 of my kids. 2nd started treatment with physio and OT at 9 months and 3rd started Physio at 12 weeks and OT before 12 months. It does make a difference. 1st wasn't severe as the others but so wish she had got treatment. It was only bought up when my 3rd was in physio that she had it. I never got treatment and it annoys me as I can see that it would have helped. Ot and physio go hand in hand OT = fine motor skills, physio = gross motor, If in doubt always seek advice , better to find out they don't need help than to find out later the did need it.

Not sitting still is normal for low muscle tone kids as they have to work their muscles harder just to sit straight.

Go and ask child health nurse and see if they can refer to child development centre, then there is no cost. But waiting lists are long.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Torrie77 For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, got a dx from ot other day and yes he does have low muscle tone.

Any tips on activities to do at home to help with his treatment?
    (ot has given me some but good to hear what yours are)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At least you now know. And all in all it is not too bad.
    Have they said where he has low muscle tone ( also called hypotonia)?
    My son has it everywhere including jaw, but youngest has it in limbs, fingers but jaw fine. me same all limbs etc but not jaw. ( the jaw effects speech and chewing).
    Playdough is one of the best things as it makes them use there hand and arm muscles, as is lego/duplo. Another i learnt at a group session earlier this year was cornflour. You mix cornflour with a little water ( tiny bit at a time) to make it into a play dough consistency and they then roll it,draw in it (fingers), roll it up etc great again for hands and arms. ( this group was for my 2 year old).

If it does effect jaw ( you will know as they have difficulty chewing or seem adverse to meat that is hard to chew and dribble more than normal..yes 8 year old still dribbles due to it). Best thing is getting them to chew ice or other very hard crunchy foods..even carrots are good ( ice chewing has seen my 8 year old go from drooling like a teething toddler to hardly noticeable in 6 months).

Also remember they tire very easily and will not sit still in a chair or at desk/table, due to them having to make their muscles work so hard just to sit up.....annoying as it is they recommend letting them swing on chairs and move legs while sitting.
    Another is giving them tiny pieces of chalk to draw with as again is makes them use lots more muscles. Getting them to draw in shaving cream. And hiding tiny toys ( 2 cm) in shaving cream and making them dig them out, Also doing same and using big tweezers ( plastic same size as rulers for little ones). The ones Im thinking of are fine motor there are others for gross motor. Can't think at moment..all hell broke loose half way through this reply x