+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Real Estate slow with repair

I need some advice. We rent and last Thursday night the garage door finally gave up the ghost. It's been almost a week and the real estate still haven't come to fix it. I'm locked out of my garage. My dd can't access her bike she needs for bike Ed at school on Friday, not to mention all the other things we can't access. I keep getting told the property manager will
    Call me back, but she doesn't. I'm so frustrated!! There is a window we could break to get in. Do u think we're justified in doing that. It's getting ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could serve them with a 'notice to remedy breach' citing failure to attend to repairs in an adequate time frame.

If it continues, you are potentially entitled to a portion of your rent back as you don't have full use of the property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    write them a letter including the dates of your phone calls and that some were not returned, detail the date it originally happened and that you can not get into the garage and you are formally requesting they have someone fix it immediately and if it is to take any longer than 5 workign days you are requesting a 50% discount on the rent until it is fixed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very similar thing happened to me, you need to issue a Notice to Rectify and make sure all correspondence in in writing, if you call them follow up with a email to say you rang.

Thanks
    Reviews
    they may classify it as a non urgent repair... in which case they have 14 days to fix it... I would contact consumer affairs and speak to them a bout the matter... also ask for a 'notice to landlord' form which is the form that you should used to get repairs done... as if you use this one and it isn't done within the 14 days then consumer affairs can take over (we got caught out after our roof started leaking in our bedroom, 3 weeks after we submitted the form still nothing... got onto the phone and spoke to consumer affairs and they STRONGLY recommended using their forms rather than the realestates forms.) I was lucky and had a very helpful representative who contacted the agent on my behalf and dealt with things for me... within the week of contacting consumer affairs all my repairs were done... document EVERYTHING as well... and EMAIL instead of calling... much better of keeping track of what is being said etc...