+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What home activities do you do with your 1 yr old?

Hi, I'm currently at a bit of a mental block with what FUN activities i could set up and do with my 15mth old at home?
    We dont have a backyard and it's pretty much too cold to play outside nowdays anyways.
    Im looking for something a bit different other than puzzles, blocks, drawing, hand painting, banging pots, dolls, books and music play. We do that stuff all the time and she is not as interested in it all anymore

This is some of the stuff we do together, not everyday, i try to change it up as much as i can but am running out of ideas:

Sometimes i'll set up a cosy reading corner with her couch and pillows and books on a accessible shelf for her.
    She has a play tent with her dollys in it that i'll bring out or set up occasionally.
    I'll make up her chair and table set for tea parties/chalk drawing
    I stick a big sheet of paper on the floor and she will play around with crayons for a bit with me.
    I'll bring out pots and spoons and play music, ive even made colourful maracas out of plastic bottles and rice.
    I also let her free play a fair bit while i do a bit of housewoek etc.
    I have made a 'sensory box' that comes out every so often.

I dunno if it's just me but are 1yr olds r a bit difficult to keep entertained?
    I dont believe she is over stimulated.
    What do you do with your 1 yr old at home that's a bit 'different'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. That is way more stuff than what I do with my 12 month old!

We spend a lot of time out of the house running errands and attending her activities. She does mainly music, Gymbaroo and swimming. We also like to catch up with friends for a play date once a week.

When we are at home we do the usual book reading, learning to put shapes in her shape toy, playing on her keyboard, putting music on and dancing to it, blowing bubbles, riding on her little push along hippo and pushing dolly or other toys in toy pram.

We like to go outside as much as possible. We go for a walk, dig in the garden, play at the park, water the plants.

She also loves to play with a ball. She will either carry it around or let me roll it to her for her to catch. She finds this hilarious.

Free play usually involves her just pulling her toys out and spreading them around the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Luckily we have a big tiled lounge/dining area and 19 month old DS drives his crazy coupe and toy motor bike around a made up race track I've made around the dining table, he takes turns in taking his stuffed big bird/humpty or jemimah toys for rides, he could do this all day if I let him!
    Plus now at 19 months I let him "help" get dinner ready by helping me peel peas or putting the veggies/salad I chop into bowls
    We also dance a lot, we watch play school every day and they always have some song/dance - today was the hokey pokey!!
    As pp said even if we have no plans for the day we will walk up to the fruit shop to buy fruit etc just to get him out of the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing :-) was wondering this myself the other day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD helps me with housework and has done so since she started walking at 14mths. She is great at putting things in the wash/bin etc. She loves mopping (she has her own little mop) and we do the floors regularly.

We cook together - when I bake bread rolls or anything else that involves dough she helps me knead it or I give her a bit of her own and I bake it for her.

I also do the paper/crayons, chalk on driveway, separating different pasta shapes into containers/go for a walk and collect leaves and stick them on paper etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cubby houses
    My dd is 16mo and loves it when we get the sheets out and make a cubby house, after it's made she has a fun time rolling around in their and taking all her toys in.
    If she is getting really grumpy we go in there and read some books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you heard of a busy bag? Google it or check Pinterest for ideas. It's basically a bag full of home made crafts that keep kiddos occupied.

One that was pure magic for my DD was pom pom stuffing. I bought a container of felt fuzz balls at Big W and cut a round hole into the lid of a snack cup, put it on the cup, and gave the balls to her on the side. She stuffed pom poms for an hour.

There are so many more ideas, but this was a big hit with all the bubs in our group. Have fun!

Sent from my Desire HD using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i forgot to add we usually do swimming once a week but not during winter. We do park trips, library and shopping too but im more asking about HOME activities as i want to limit going out during the cold months. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 15 months old boy and its so difficult to think of new activities to entertain him.
    we play hide and seek, he loves running around the house looking for me and has the biggest giggle when he finds me. I would put up a matress and turn it into a slide for him to play. I sometimes put water in the bath and he would stand beside the bath and play water, we read, building blocks, paint, play dough (home made eatable ones), play with his toys, draw, stickers, watch 1 hour of tv in total a day. I work from home so he would help me put stock away (sometimes making a mess more than helping), we play piano together, sing and dance, go to back yard and look at the birds, I try to teach him numbers and letters too.