+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In my family and circle of friends every new baby is celebrated with a shower. I have a cousin who has four children and had a shower for each.

Men and women are usually both invited and we see it as a chance to catch up, celebrate a new addition and shower the mum to be with love and yes, with presents too!! It's just what we do.

No one sees it as "present collecting" only as a super nice reason for getting together, being a family and showing mum to be that the new bub is just as anticipated as any other.

I would absolutely have a BBQ for number 2 OP... And call it anything you want!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm having a 'gathering' this weekend in anticipation of my second baby. We are going to a nice Cafe for coffee/cake and to guess new bubs arrival date, sex and weight. Girls only - mainly immediate family and close friends.

I really wanted another real baby shower but was found out on bh land that it was a no go zone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    I'm having a 'gathering' this weekend in anticipation of my second baby. We are going to a nice Cafe for coffee/cake and to guess new bubs arrival date, sex and weight. Girls only - mainly immediate family and close friends.

I really wanted another real baby shower but was found out on bh land that it was a no go zone.
    Isn't that funny! I never knew it was a "no go zone" until 10 minutes ago when I came across this thread!! Lucky for me, I don't know anyone from BH land in real life

Enjoy your "gathering" this weekend

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Baby showers for first are all helping mum set up. Even when the baby is born you buy another gift. So second baby has a baby shower you're expected to buy more gifts then when the baby is born people buy gifts again

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs P For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Baby showers for first are all helping mum set up. Even when the baby is born you buy another gift. So second baby has a baby shower you're expected to buy more gifts then when the baby is born people buy gifts again

I haven't had the experience where it is "expected" to buy a gift for a second or subsequent baby. I can imagine it would take the fun out of an event if you felt you were.

Although I personally think in this economy every little bit helps. Whether its your first or not times are tough for everyone. So I always buy presents... But that's just me, I love giving presents to people!!

Also a gift doesn't have to be a store bought present. I have seen plenty of handmade "vouchers" for baby sitting or house cleaning services. I've also seen a handmade book where someone went around to all of the women in the family. She took their photos and had them write a special piece of "motherly advice" for mum to be, then put it all together in a scrapbook. It was beautiful, it brought a tear to my eye and made me wish I had one!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The term baby shower goes without saying to buy gifts, shower the baby with presents!

Tugh economy goes both ways I can't afford to be buying every man and his dog a gift and I LOVE to give gifts. I'm just not a fan of subsequent baby showers, call it a baby shower and it reaks of gift grabbing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs P For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the idea of having a meet the new baby party. It means everyone gets to see the baby and then you don't constantly have a ****** of visitors of weeks after babies birth. However having a bbq is fine too, I just think it's nice to wait until bubs arrival as thats what everyone wants to see

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jascar For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you all for your responses. I hadnt thought about a "meet the baby party". How many weeks old would you have one of these?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I had one at about one and a half weeks. My mum hosted so there was nothing to do except turn up (makes it easy) and it only went for an hour or two. It was great, obviously close friends and family had seen baby but it helped to cover everyone else

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering the same thing!

There will be a 5 year age gap between my two, and i was debating about having a baby shower, I don't necessarily want presents, but i would like to catch up with my family and friends before bubs is born. Also i do not see any of the friends i had at my first baby shower.. I have new friends now, I have a whole different life to what i did back then, so it sorta feels like number one all over again in a funny way, iykwim??
    I never knew that subsequent baby showers were a no-go.. however I have always felt that they are more for the first baby. I think i might do what OP is doing and have a BBQ.