+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby shower for baby #2 thoughts?

I am thinking about having a baby shower for baby #2. I am having another boy in September. The baby shower will most likely be a BBQ with friends and family. Men will be invited unlike my first baby shower which only women were invited. I dont care about presents as we have everything from DS but if people like they can purchase a small gift for the new baby.

What are your thoughts on 2nd baby showers? I have read on the net some people either hate them or each baby needs to be celebrated.

Thoughts???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am interested also. I'm nit having one for number 2 as I had one for my first. A couple of friends have mentioned I should celebrate this baby too though as there is a five year gap and new town. This baby is my second girl also so I have loads of stuff for her already.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VintageLover For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't call it a baby shower. Baby shower screams presents.

Maybe a Pre baby BBQ.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs P For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (27-07-2012),starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think no... But of you call it a BBQ and not a baby shower and say no gifts then it's ok. I think it can be seen as a bit of a present collecting exercise otherwise (even if it's obviously not your intention)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (27-07-2012),starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't going to have one for this one (DD) because I had one for when I was pregnant with DS, so instead I was going to have a meet the baby party after she is born but then had the worry of her getting sick cos she wouldn't of had her needles & then people suggested I do it when she is around 6 to 8 weeks but by then it will be our sons 3rd birthday so I am not sure what to do now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Cookies For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the idea of 2nd or 3rd baby showers. I think you can still celebrate subsequent children, and in my experience when baby no 2 or 3 comes along close friends and family will buy the new baby a gift after the birth. I always think of baby showers being for 1st time mums to help them get set up and acknowledge the change a 1st baby brings. Personally I feel it seems a bit greedy to have a baby shower for subsequent children (no offence intended!).

After DD2 was born we had a BBQ for close friends and family to introduce her to everyone - and DH & his mates loved the idea of having an excuse to "wet the babies head"!!

If you wanted to you could have a BBQ before the birth - I would steer clear of using the term "Baby Shower" though as I would feel like I had to buy a gift, even if the invite said no gifts required, just me, I'd wonder if others were going to bring something and feel embarrassed if I didn't turn up with anything! Personally I'd much rather buy something for a friends baby after the birth.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having a baby shower for bump no 2 in three weeks. In my family it's expected!!! I gave my sister 3 one for each of her girls. We have a large busy family and also use it as a chance to catchup and have a chat.

The presents side of things doesn't worry me either way I have heaps of stuff from my previous DD but if people want to buy new bubba a pressie then I'm happy with that.

I have a few friends that are very cash strapped and have discreetly told them that their coming is present enough.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like baby showers for subsequent babies at all. A baby shower for a 1st baby is exciting as it is more about you becoming parents and it is a chance for people to tell you little tips about what to expect, as well as to give you gifts to start the journey. How about having a get-together/ bbq/ drinks after the baby is born?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you should do what u want to do.

In my random opinion, i think second baby showers are fine when there is a mighty age gap, and the person got rid of everything not expecting another?
    But close in age, especially the same gender i find a bit odd.

Having said that im sure all of your friends n such would love to get together with you and your family for a celebration.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

starla  (30-05-2012)