+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do u recommend ICSI or PICSI even with good quality sperm?

Last IVF cycle we had 15 eggs, 10 fertilized and 4 made it to blast (5DT) - good result.

This IVF cycle we had 14 eggs, only 4 fertilized and left with 1 morala and 3 bad embs (5DT) - bad result.

Can ICSI or PICSI be used to improve fertilisation when male sperm quality is good (88% motility) but we had low fertilisation rate? If so, which do u recommend? I've also heard of HA ICSI.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 30-05-2012 at 08:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The main difference is with ICSI you rely on the scientist to choose a sperm by sight whereas with PICSI they use a special gel that only the strongest sperm are attracted to. We used PICSI on our 6 eggs and had 6/6 fertilise- but even with PICSI the rate is generally 70% fertilise. If they will do PICSI my theory is at least you know the sperm they choose is strong- but with such high quality they may not agree to do it? Worth asking though.
    Did they say whether all eggs were mature? My clinic said sometimes not all the collected eggs are mature enough to fertilise. Might be worth asking to speak to one of the scientists and find out exactly what all the eggs were like?
    Hope you have better luck next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    Did they say whether all eggs were mature? My clinic said sometimes not all the collected eggs are mature enough to fertilise. Might be worth asking to speak to one of the scientists and find out exactly what all the eggs were like?
    Hope you have better luck next time.
    Thanks for your advice Fortitude. We had 17 eggs and 3 were not mature enough to fertilize. Our FS follow up appointment is next week, it can't come soon enough!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael3 For This Useful Post:

Fortitude  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband has normal sperm but our FS recommended we use ICSI each time as I have low ovarian reserve so only get a few eggs at a time and she didn't want to 'waste' any in case they didn't fertilise with IVF. We were going to try PISCI plates this time round to increase the chances of good sperm being selected but didn't get to egg pick up so plan to use that next time. At our clinic the PICSI plate costs $150 extra so I think it's worth trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies
    Iwould love some help.
    Hubby and I are on our first ivf cycle. After 2 years of trying we finally got to start ivf. During the 2 yrs we tried all alternative measures and had all tests done - we are both fine.
    So yesterday we had egg collection and we got 10 mature eggs, good sperm too. Phone call today says none if the 10 eggs fertilized. None.
    We are so upset as our hopes were high on some sort of activity even if it did not last long we still thought we would have at least 1 fertalize. I know its only our first go but its so difficult. If u can help or suggest anything please reply.
    lots of well wishes to all of you lovely ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wishing, I am so sorry, having none fertilise is just the WORST! This happenned in my first cycle and it baffled the dr, for this reason I have to say I would always have ICSI. My dh's sperm was fine and it shouldn't of happenned (especially as we had conceived naturally in the past).

Rescue ICSI was done and of those 4 still fertilised, so I do wonder what our result that cycle would have been if we had chosen ICSI first up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing85 View Post
    Hi ladies
    Iwould love some help.
    Hubby and I are on our first ivf cycle. After 2 years of trying we finally got to start ivf. During the 2 yrs we tried all alternative measures and had all tests done - we are both fine.
    So yesterday we had egg collection and we got 10 mature eggs, good sperm too. Phone call today says none if the 10 eggs fertilized. None.
    We are so upset as our hopes were high on some sort of activity even if it did not last long we still thought we would have at least 1 fertalize. I know its only our first go but its so difficult. If u can help or suggest anything please reply.
    lots of well wishes to all of you lovely ladies.
    Since it's your first cycle they probably prefer not to try ICSI first go and see how many fertilise, now they know to do it next time. Natural fertilization is always preferred but so many go through ICSI. My biggest problem was that 10 fertilised naturally at one clinic and barely 4 fertilised at another. Which clinic are you at? We are now at Genea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wishing85 That is truely devastating . With such good egg numbers it is hard to imagine that not even ((1)) would fertilise. Did they attempt rescue ICSI? This is a process where if no fertilisation occurs they can then use ICSI to try again essentially within the cycle. There is a risk that one IS fertilised and gets double fertilised though.
    If I were in your shoes I would anticipate the FS suggesting ICSI next time. Honestly, even spend the extra $150 and have PICSI. At least you know each egg has a fair chance to fertilise then. Going into another cycle without P/ICSI sounds like it would be stressful.
    I would be getting myself into the FS ASAP if I were you- can you ask them to biopsy/investigate WHY none fertilised? Maybe there is an underlying reason?

The expected average is 70% will fertilise. I would be asking the hard questions of the FS and clinic. One question I would ask is "were the eggs mature?" because not all collected egg are mature- immature or over-mature eggs may not fertilise.

Can I also add some extra (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) the whole build up to EPU with BT, clinic visits, needles, US etc etc are so hard. To get such a disappointing result is cruel. xoxoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachel- We are with Genea too. They have been excellent. Mind you, not keen to be in my current situation. But not much I can do about that- just wait.
    What's happening for you now Rachel?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    Rachel- We are with Genea too. They have been excellent. Mind you, not keen to be in my current situation. But not much I can do about that- just wait.
    What's happening for you now Rachel?
    Hi Fortitude, we finally have our follow up appointment tomorrow after our BFN 16 May as our FS has been away. We were told that all follow up appointments are made over the phone (is that the same with your FS?) but I insisted we meet face-to-face, to many things to discuss. I have written a handful of questions so am very prepared. It's probably best we are meeting so much later as I'm not as emotional as I was a few weeks ago I just want answers and hopefully walk out feeling confident our FS knows what he is doing. We would start our next cycle 19 June.

How about you?