+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 11.5 month old sick for 5 weeks now....seems excessive?

My 11.5 month old DS has been sick for almost 5 weeks now. It started as a cold virus (temps, runny nose, cough). After 2 weeks of that, he started getting better but then got worse very quickly. His temp went up to 39.6 and the doc decided to put him on amoxicillin because he thought it had turned into a bacterial infection in his ears.

We started the amoxicillin and he improved within 24 hours. But then a few days later had really bad diarrhea and then developed temps again. At first I thought it was just a side effect of the antibiotics, but the temp had me worried and the diarrhea was awful.

Back to the docs and he said he had caught a gasto virus. He said it was pretty normal for children his age who have just started day care to get a run of illnesses like this. He said to just keep fluids up and give panadol.

A few days later and now he is running temps, and has a bright green runny nose again.

I'm going to take him back to the docs as soon as they open but I just wanted to see what other Mum's thought? Does it sound out of the ordinary that he has been sick for so long? With him starting day care I expected a few bugs here and there but not 5 weeks straight!!! I'm feeling really concerned and am totally exhausted from looking after a sick baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dont know if it is "normal", but DD was like that last winter after starting daycare. She had colds/coughs/gastro/hand foot and mouth/general viruses all winter with very little well time. It was awful. So far this year is better, and as a result of the continual illnesses last year we now have a fantastic relationship with our GP!! (who we saw almost every week it felt like!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sanjimum. I'm guessing those day are over! I feel like I have been housebound dealing with a sick bub forever!

I guess it musn't be out of the ordinary since no one else has replied. I took DS back to the GP today and he says it is just another cold virus ontop of what he has already had. I'm almost tempted to quit playgroup and day care cause the stress of him being sick is just not worth it and I'm not confident in a applying for any jobs until he is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The longest my DD has been sick is a month and a half, and it was just one thing after another, piled on top of each other! I barely slept, DD was so clingy.. Was tough. Numerous trips to GP, even saw a pediatrician, couple of scary 39 and 40 degree temps, and several rounds of antibiotics. It just came down to her battered immune system and catching everything that was going around.

I limited her contact with other kids, kept her home from daycare and play groups until I had her immune system in check, which I did by introducing the kids probiotics from Inner Health Plus into her daily regimen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jo7 For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry to say that it sounds pretty normal to me.... My kids went/go to family day care and even they were continually sick for the first 6-12 months

The upside is that once the worst is over, their little immune systems are very tough

If DS is on antibiotics, have you considered giving him probiotics (inner health for kids etc)? It has made a huge difference to the health of my two!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just started day care 4 weeks ago and have been sick for 4 weeks and counting. It's a bombardment of bugs, viruses and everything else. We have teething thrown in also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I give him inner health plus. Luckily, broccoli is about the only thing he will eat, so I just slathered his dinner in garlic butter tonight, hoping the garlic helps.

He has been to family day care for 2 days a week for 3 weeks. I didn't expect him to get this sick considering there are only 4 children there.

Oh well, I guess next winter he'll have a great little immune system (I hope)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    daycare in winter. it will improve towards sept/oct