+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Return of Period? Or possible miscarriage?

This whole post may be TMI...

At the start of May (5th), my period returned 10 months after having DD (I am breastfeeding).

Pre-baby I would have a five day period- light, heavy, medium, medium, super light. And some pain on days 2 &3

Post baby- It was REALLY heavy and lasted for about 7 days. I had to change my tampons about every 3 hours, the whole way through until the last day. After it 'ended' I had spotting for approx 2.5 weeks. I had quite bad pain during the period and some cramping for the two weeks after.

I'm just wondering if this is normal after no period for 9 months of pregnancy plus 10 months of baby beastfeeding? Has my uterine lining been 'building up' for the last 10 months, which explains the heaviness and prolonged spotting?

The only other explaination I can think of is a miscarriage? Is there any way I can be sure? Is there any point in going to the doctor now?

Has anyone else had something similar?

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never TMI! Friend of mine had really heavy period when it returned after having bub. Mine is yet to return due to BF'ing.

I don't think lining builds up during that time and just waits for ovulation, I should expect the whole thing kicks back into gear when your bod decides it's time to ovulate again. Preg obviously changes your body, and it may be giving itself a good clean out after the pg.

I've had one very early miscarriage, and that was quite heavy but accompanied by more cramping than usual for me, and longer than usual, but these things are prob very individual. Hard to know if you weren't sure you were pg before the bleed.

In your position, I'd ring Nurse-on-call. There is also a new government funded helpline, gp on call. Google it, perhaps, not sure of the number.

If you're really worried, a visit to the doc to soothe your mind can't hurt. I'd try the helplines first, though, save you a trip to doc, and the helplines are open 24/7. Hope you get to the bottom of it, good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nudge, just looked it up for you...the Nurse-on-call service is 1300 606024 ; GP-on-call is 1800 022 222. Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for those numbers. I didn't even know that service existed

Milky mumma since July 2011