+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default High temp - convulsion - now low temp?? Help please should I be worried?

A bit of background.... DS is 2.5yrs, yesterday morning he was fine we were out and about at playgroup all as normal yet at lunch time at home as he sat at the table having lunch his body 'jumped'/jolted then he went all floppy - very scary! I got him to the Drs straight away and his temp was 39, it had spiked very quickly causing a febrile convulsion... Turns out he has 2 bright red ear infections (common for my son to have no real symptoms of these!)
    Anyway I've been keeping an eye on his temp and he is on antibiotics also. His temp has been 38.4 a couple of times and I've given Panadol or Nurofen to combat the fever from getting any higher.
    Now tonight his temp is 35.9... Should I be worried? His face feels cool but his body feels warm and sweaty. His room temp is 16-17oC and he has flannelette PJs on and has a child's mini-jumbuck quilt on. This morning we went out and he seemed fine but after a while he got all cuddly and obviously didn't feel well, he felt all clamy and at one stage looked a bit out of it but after about 20 minutes picked up again. I did recall this arvo he did have a low temp also but I dismissed it at the time thinking my (digital ear) thermometer didn't take the reading properly and figured he was fine as he didn't feel hot at all. Tonight as he slept i took it twice and both readings were 35.9 and I took mine also and it was normal range so I think the thermometer is working fine.
    Should I be worried? Has anyone else been through anything similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    35.9 is not to much out of the normal range I would just keep an eye on him as i'm sure you will. Poor little man hope he is feeling better asap!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

nicoleE  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, poor little guy, indeed. That is quite a bit on the cool side. When you get a cool reading like this, sometimes it's that the child is lying 'in a puddle' in bed (special care nursery I was at for a month told us to always check for wetness cooling the body if we got a low reading). Also, recheck temp thrice, then again in fifteen mins if still cool. I think if the child has a history of temp probs, infections, or convulsions, I'd ring nurse-on-call or gp-on-call (second time tonight in here I've said this, weird!). Then you can get a prof opinion on whether to disturb your little guy and get him medical care. I'd hate for something to happen after a heads up like a low temp, and this is a free, 24/7 prof service exactly for cases like these, when you just don't know whether to get a doc involved.

I really hope he improves.

The nurse-on-call number is 1300 606024 and GP-on-call number is 1800 606024.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

nicoleE  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again NicolE, apparently 36c is considered low, and 35 is considered low-bordering on dangerously low, so please do call someone, maybe the above numbers or even a GP locum to come to your house if you are in an area that has locum services (call your usual doc for locum number, often on their aft-hours answering machine). Given your boy's recent history, and the ear infections, it does seem strange his ears would not be hot, and actually cold. Try another method of taking his temp first, if you have an under-tongue thermometer, or under arm (rectally if you want to get hardcore, but do we really want to go there?), then call the nurse on call number ~ at least you've then checked a coupla diff ways and have better info to give them. Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 30-05-2012 at 02:27. Reason: because my punctuation is lacking at 2am...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

nicoleE  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you for the replies. His temp stayed low all night and his body cooled down to the touch also. However because of the time of night and the fact that he was alert and didn't seem to be in any discomfort (had had no panadol etc) I decided to just keep a close eye on him. I spent Mose of the night in his room anyway as he didn't sleep well without me in there (and issue previous to this sickness that was sorted out before he had a virus 2 weeks ago!).
    This morning his temp was back to normal after breakfast and he seems fine. I will continue to monitor his temps and perhaps get a second thermometer, with ear infections he isn't too keen for me to stick the ear one in his ears anyway for obvious reasons!
    Thanks again I was a bit worried last night, after the febrile convulsion I guess I've learnt anything can happen without any warning so I think I'm a bit on edge at the moment!