+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Parents of asthmatic children, or prone to bronchitis/croup etc

So its that time of year. Although.. colds and flu seem so common in little kids all year.. but I was just wondering how other parents avoid asthma flare ups, attacks and other complications when your little one starts coming down with something? My daughter is prone to croup and my son is asthmatic (great genetics we have passed on ) and I'm just wondering what others do.. do you have any tips or tricks. My understanding is steam/vaporisers are good for colds and congestion but bad when it gets to the croup stage? Do you keep the kids warm and indoors mostly? Do you use ventolin at the first sign of coughing and a slight wheeze?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we have some preventive tablets called singular that she had prescribed for winter time as she is a bit uncoordinated with the puffer. steamer on when shes getting a cold and vicks on her feet.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm didn't know there were tablets any more suggestions.. had a bad night last night ds began coughing and struggled to breathe. Ventolin worked on the second round. He's having a day off school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Asthma is a disease of the airways that has triggers that can cause an 'attack', whereas croup is a symtom of a virus and as such croup cannot be avoided

Please don't use steam for croup - it is actually contra-indicated by the RCH.

The croup bark is when the vocal cords get inflamed when irritated/attcked by a viral bug, so really all we can do is treat the symptoms and try improve our immune systems.

I know kids are supposed Phto grow out of croup, but my DS is 11 and still gets croupy when he gets a cold. The last time I took him to the Dr he was surprised as he'd never seen a child as old as DS barking like a seal.

I treat DS with dry cough mixture to soothe the throat and reduce the cough tickle, ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and an icy pole to also sooth the throat and distract him - at least once a year we still end up in hospy anyhow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (30-05-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subscribing as DS has had croup twice this year already.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is two. He's not on preventative. He generally gets it when he's sick (and in winter that's like every week or 2nd week). I use ventolin every 4 hrs Nd when it's really bad give him redipred (steroid medication)
    So nothing I can do to prevent it at all. He's going to pick up germs hopefully this winter is better than the other two. I can't deal with that stress again seeing my lil munchkin do sick breaks my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS has acute asthma... We have a daily preventive puffer twice a day that we double the amount of puffs, at the first sign give him a burst of ventolin & if it really flares up give him a dose (3 days) of redipred.

He has an oil heater in his room & we also have a vaporiser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS is 22 months, he is on flixotide twice daily, he also has a low immune system, and gets every single bug going around - he has been sick for the last 3 Weeks and his asthma symptoms are much worse than they normally are.

We try to prevent it, we are strict with who is around him, rug up in the cold weather, don't go out at night with him but my 4yr old son goes to kindy so therefor brings home germs.

I despise winter, I really do, judging by his last 2 Winters, we are in for a rough ride.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    My DS is two. He's not on preventative. He generally gets it when he's sick (and in winter that's like every week or 2nd week). I use ventolin every 4 hrs Nd when it's really bad give him redipred (steroid medication)
    So nothing I can do to prevent it at all. He's going to pick up germs hopefully this winter is better than the other two. I can't deal with that stress again seeing my lil munchkin do sick breaks my heart
    Hugs.
    I would seriously consider having his asthma reviewed. Some doctors won't diagnose before 2 or even 4 but my personal experience was this.. a doctor thought he "might" have a touch of asthma when he was a toddler. We treated just with ventolin and there was.no review and he seemed magically fine for well over a year.. however after a few months of sickness last year I noticed a lot of coughing and wheezing usually evening and on waking up.. but a gp said there's no way its asthma its just a wheeze .. next thing he had a major asthma attack and scared the life out of us.. asthma is very much silent until a flare up and I really think preventatives go a long way.on managing it.. I know what you mean in that your lo is only affected sometimes though but you can actually get a referral to a respiratory clinic if you feel its a concern and they can advise you much better than anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Maybe chat to doctor about a preventer. Ds was terrible last year, until we had him on a preventer, and then when he had a cold, the asthma signs were much milder and easily controlled.
    We took him off it for the summer. You can do preventer puffers seasonally. Worth understanding, the preventer works by decreasing inflammation in the airways. It takes a few doses to really start working. That is why it can't be used like ventolin. Ventolin, and other puffers like this, work to clear and loosen the mucous from the airways, which makes it much more immediate.
    Using both puffers gives a better overall plan.
    Maybe worth investigating.