+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Public School Uniforms vent

My ds is due to start primary school next term and I was looking at the schools uniform price list and I'm shocked at how expensive the uniforms are. I kept thinking how am I able to afford a uniform for him at their prices. They do have a second hand shop but I will be unable to even get to that as the school is 30mins away and my son will be taken there by taxi as he has special needs.

If I buy everything new from the school shop I will go broke trying to be able to buy several sets as he gets quite dirty at kindy n I can just imagine that at school.

I never remember school uniforms being expensive when I was a kid. I had the generic t-shirts n track pants n tops n the check dresses for summer with the sew on logos.

At this rate I'll be doing the same thing my mum did for me as I don't get how public schools can afford to charge extortionate prices for uniforms, from their shop when I can do it cheaper myself. I can't afford $43 for one jumper or $33 for a pair of trousers. Its a lot of money for a single mum to pay for school clothes. Argh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Girls winter pinafores are $70 at our public school, $30 for a shirt. $40 for a sports top. The boys are a bit cheaper bc the shorts and long pants can be bought at bigw.

Crazy isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you buy the uniform jumper/t shirt) as they usually have the school logo/emblem and buy the pants/shorts from best n less or Kmart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been very lucky with the schools we have been involved with. This school I spent $70 for 4 polo shirts and 2 hats, I had black skorts and shorts from the previous school, and they don't even have a school jumper, they are happy for school colours from Big W! i was very pleased, particularly as we are only here for a year.

Is there a school facebook page? Maybe post asking for second hand uniforms? I intend to sell ours that way at the end of the year.

Also, I'm not entirely sure but there is some kind of educational rebate as well, maybe somebody can explain further then I can if that is relevant here.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (29-05-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow at some of those prices

Dd1 school uniform is cheap
    $21.50 polo shirt
    $19.50 jacket
    $17.50 jumper
    $15 skorts, shorts & trackies
    $5 hat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How much do you normally pay for trousers/jumpers? I thought $30 sounds normal for a pair of pants - no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please ring the school and ask if they have any donated uniforms. Our school has second hand as well as new but they do also have stock of donated items for families that are struggling. Many don't know about and it's not common knowledge so worthwhile asking about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have u tried target, big w, best and less or Kmart?. They often have school uniforms at a Much cheaper price. The school here sells green cargo shorts for 25 , I ended up getting stubbing cargo shorts from big w for like 10 a pair.