+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on how DH can get into mining industry with no experience or qualifications

We are having some serious financial problems at the moment, and thinking that our best option is for me & bub to move in with my mum for a year or 2 while DH goes to the mines for a year, that way neither of us are paying rent & bills while we get our finances sorted, I can still go to uni, as well as being able to save for a while. He has absolutely no relevant skills, experience, training or qualifications, and he does not have a full license (still on provisional license and only got it a few months ago) He is willing to do ANYTHING, whatever will have the best pay but also able to start ASAP (within next few months if possible) Not sure if this is relevant but he is 22- hoping to get everything sorted while we're still young and make a more realistic plan for baby no 2

Originally we wanted to both stay at home and be lazy while enjoying the first few years being a lovey happy family what fantasy world were we living in haha although we are happy, it's just not possible money-wise anymore! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dh was in the same situation and it took 6 months to up there. However my DH is alot older. Your Dh is still very young, I would suggest trying to get an apprenticeship up there. That way when his done working on the mines he has a trade. The best way is to just keep applying to all the different companies. If he has no qualifications or exp. the best position to apply for is a "utility worker" or an apprentice. Keep in mind that you only earn 100K + if you are qualified at something. However the pay is still more than double the minimum wage for unqualified workers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No idea. My brother is a qualified boilermaker with 15 years experience and even HE can't get a mining fifo job. Hes been applying but they all keep telling him they want highly qualified (engineers).

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    He could do a vocational course in a trade and then see if he can be taken on by all trades or similar for an apprenticeship. He can request mining jobs but they come up when they come up so he may have to work elsewhere for a while. All trades deals with that though.

Good news is, by being with all trades, they foot the bill for all mine related qualifications which usually cost a fair bit. There are special mine specific quals needed.

He will also likely be a mature age apprentice meaning he will start on third year wages. Much better than first year wages!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm currently working in mining in WA. I have to agree with the previous posters - there's a perception that anyone can get into mining and earn high wages, but the truth is that what we really need is skilled labour. Trying to get an apprenticeship is a good idea, and the skills are useful for life after mining. Alternatively, he could try and get a job in the city operating heavy machinery and apply to be a machine operator once he's got a couple of years experience. Another option is doing a course to be a geology field-tech through TAFE, or he could consider working for a catering company in a FIFO camp - not as much money, but it's a foot in the door.

The most important thing is to not just send resumes - he needs to knock on doors and phone around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you can get unqualified work, working as a kitchen hand, cleaner etc at some mining camps. He would have to have some transferable skills, like time management, ability to work unassisted and as part of a team, have a good work ethic. Call up ESS, spotless, Sodexo, Morris Group for some information on what unskilled jobs they have available. These companies are run the facility management of the mine camps so are always looking for people. They will provide the specific training required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow your situation sounds very similar to what mine was just 3 months ago! Although thankfully for me my partner has now landed a FIFO job but he was lucky enough to have connects already in the mines. Sorry to say but it very much comes down to 'its not what you know, it's WHO you know'.
    My partner had no qualifications or experience, although has done labouring and warehouse work since he was 16. 3 months ago he decided to leave his job (not having another job to go to) he researched and sent his resume everywhere. He was willing to fork out whatever money it took to upskill himself with more tickets but the thing we found hard was everywhere asked for 'experience' - how do you get experience when you first start out?
    Thankfully within a week of resigning from his warehouse job he was told by my brother inlaw that he may have a job for him.. Within 24hrs we we're told he got the job and had to fly out 3 days later! He is just labouring up there but still bringing home $2500 a week!!
    I'm now trying to pack up our house as me and our 8month old son are moving back to mums so we can save even more money. Hopefully within the next 12-18months we'll have the money to buy a house!

Unfortunately I don't really have any advise but just thought I'd comment as I was in the very same position.

All the very best. I hope he lands a job soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Dh is in the mining industry. Has your Dh thought about being a drillers offsides op? This is a much called for field and many companies don't require experience. I would suggest your Dh put a resume in to as many mining companies as he can expressing his interest.
    Dump truck drivers is another area where some companies don't require experience, they will train you.
    Some companies are easier to get into than others. I don't agree with the statement "it's more to do with who you know, not what you know". That is definitely not the case where my Dh works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't be put off by the thought of having to know someone...it's not the case. My husband has just landed a FIFO job and knew no one. He literally walked in off the street and said I want this job. He is a tradesman but he made himself stand out. My advice is chase chase chase. Be a winner. Write a good resume, cover letter and then go get em.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could any of you ladies who have hubbies in FIFO jobs give me some ideas of what companies to approach? My DP is interested in a mining job too and has trade skills, just not sure where to start?