+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey I replied in your other thread I think your DH is being insensitive to be honest. I agree you need support. I know it's tough on him too but he needs to see the bigger picture. I really hope this is the last of it for you. You've only just gone 12 weeks and it does take that long for everything to settle. In fact I think it took 4 months for everything to settle down with me (ie vaso/supply)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The first 3 months of breastfeeding are the hardest. Your baby is growing and changing so fast as is their demand for milk. Your body has a lot of trouble knowing how much to make or not and mastitis can be the result. Get some support from the ABA and ask your dh to hold off on the pressure until at least 4.5 months, things should have settled down by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Say that to him. Let him know that his mood and manner doesn't help with your stress. Maybe its hard for him to understand why you would want to continue when you keep having bouts of mastitis and its hard to recover. But stress to him how much you want to continue and you need his support. Keep on trucking. If you still feel like you can do it, go for it. You've done awesome to go this far with the mastitis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh honey, I went through EXACTLY the same thing!! My H (now ex!) was SO unsupportive. I ended up weaning my first 2 due to recurrent mastitis and the fact that I had NO ONE'S support. I really regret it.
    With my third, I TOLD everyone that I WAS bf fullterm despite potential mastitis. Due to my confidence in persisting, I got support off everyone. Except H. He again told me that if I continued to feed, he would not have my support in that choice, and that if I got sick, he would not give me ANY support/sympathy. I told him that's fine, and that I will continue feeding.
    I am so so glad I persisted despite his wishes. I bf my DS til he was 2.5yo, my third and final attempt at bf was successful!

So my advice to you is, be confident and firm in your decision, whatever it is. Tell everyone your decision confidently, they will then know how serious you are about it. Your DH can get stuffed TBH, this choice is between you and your baby, and as you said, it's not like he waits on you hand and foot when you're sick anyway.
    I agree to seek advice from the ABA and/or a lactation consultant. And my personal tips for avoiding mastitis I posted in another thread recently. Here.

Oh and I went on long term with AB's with success.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by CMF; 29-05-2012 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh wow that sounds really tough. The ABA has a helpline 1800 686 268 it is 7 days - they can help you too and its free.

I have suffered recurrent blocked ducts with both my babies. It is extremely frustrating, as I was following all the ‘rules’ and nothing really seemed to help. In my case it seemed to be a breast-type predisposition, as well as large milk supply (and small storage areas that filled up quickly ie small breasts)

One thing that may be reassuring is that as both lactations progressed and hormones/supply settled the blockages reduced considerably. The worst of it was over by 10 weeks with my second. I stopped my day to day prevention strategies at around 12 months and have had only a few further blocks since then. DD2 is now 2 and a bit and still feeding.

Some ideas that may not be in the books that may help:

- feed frequently, both sides, and don’t go too long between feeds (including overnight). If breasts still feel lumpy or full after a feed, express off to comfort (but not so much to stimulate supply). At night, I would set my alarm at 4 hours to get up and check breasts, and either wake for a feed or express if needed. As she slept longer I had to very gradually extend the time between feeds to avoid blockages (not a huge problem with DD2 as she is an insomniac)

- wear the softest bras or maternity tanks you can find. The best ones I found were lovable maternity tank top or target ones (excellent for under other shirts as belly is covered for feeding too), and these seamless bras I found at target for around $20. Wear no bra around home if small breasted and not leaking.

- careful of sleeping position. I used to sleep slightly propped with a v pillow and another between my knees to stop me rolling too far onto my side

- dietary: avoid caffeine, alcohol and high fat diet – all linked to blockages.

- naturopathic; I took poke root (herb to increase lymphatic drainage), Echinacea (immune system), fish oil and a multi vitamin. The poke root in particular for me was a wonder drug. It mainly kept the blockages at bay, and if I forgot to take it for a few days I’d always get one. Lecithin and probiotics both linked to reduced blockages too. Maybe a visit to the naturopath could help you?

- Treatment: spot the block early and treat it aggressively. I would do a massage check in shower each morning and night. If there was a sore spot, I would do the following

o Apply warmth with a wheat bag
    o Massage using oil and finger tips
    o Massage using end of an electric toothbrush, stroking gently toward nipple (AMAZING TRICK). You can use any other thing that vibrates too but I wont go there
    o Feed the baby with chin pointing to the sore spot. When baby has fed up to pusses bow, pump until no flow of milk. An electric pump is really the best thing to use. It is hard to pump from a blocked breast in any case, and a manual pump or by hand, for me, was useless. I had the medela swing and it was (is) awesome.
    o After the feed, repeat the massage with oil and the electric toothbrush, and apply a cold pack

This would generally clear the block in a single go, but sometimes I needed to do this a few times over a few feeds. With my first baby as a novice, the blocks progressed to mastitis 4 times. DD2 I got just as many blockages but only got mastitis once when bubby slept 5 hours then only had one side and I was so tired I fell back to sleep and voila woke up with mastitis about 2hrs later. I was much better at clearing them the second time around, and I am convinced the poke root as well as dietary changes helped.

three things: 1)This mastitis is not your fault – some mums are just unlucky with blocks due to breast type, despite doing everything the books say, 2) With a little practice they can be cleared pretty quickly, 3) as your lactation progresses and hormones/supply settle it is likely the blockages will too; the worst is usually the first 10 weeks then it improves rapidly.

I am not sure what to suggest about DH other than a swift kick up the b.... Nah just kidding, it may help to seek support from your local ABA group if you are not getting much from your partner or family, as support is SO important.

Breastfeeding wont always be like this. it will get better.

HTH

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (29-05-2012),Witwicky  (29-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's some excellent advice Purple Cat

OP - I also forgot to add the link for the ABA local groups:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/contacts/groups

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I cant even count how many times I had mastitis. One thing I can add to all the great tips the other girls already gave is lecithin capsules. They worked wonders for me.
    And you will love meeting your local aba group. It is honestly nice to sit down and talk about breastfeeding! It is so helpful and just interesting to talk to like minded people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls for all your advice, will definitely contact the website, ABA support group and look into the supplements.

DH and I had a talk and he expressed that he fears if I keep getting mastitis I'll end up in hospital and cause my Lupus to flare up and therefore create more health problems so that's why he wanted me to wean. I explained how badly I wanted to do this and he has agreed to support me but I will be getting in touch with other support networks to help both of us.

So just wanted to say thank you (sorry if the post hasn't made a lot of sense I'm very fuzzy currently from the antibiotics and being tired )