+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How contagious is Gastro?

Just after a bit of advice, how contagious is gastro? and how long should you stay away from a baby that has had it?

Basically I have a 1st birthday to attend on Sunday & one of our family members children have gastro, not sure if they will bring their baby along as it is Tuesday now so maybe all symptoms will be gone by Sunday, but is there a possibility that gastro can still be passed on even if their baby is better?

Also, if family have been round to visit the sick baby is there a possibility that they could be carrying gastro & pass it onto my baby?

Or am I being over cautious?! lol, I have a 5 month old and am just very worried about him catching it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband had gastro a few weeks back. I quarantined him to the bedroom and one chair in the lounge room. I disinfected everything he touched and sprayed Glen 20 over everything he touched...
    My daughter still got sick, about a week after him She was not as sick as he was but still bad enough. I got sick about 4 days after DD, and again not as bad.
    I don't know how close you have to come to people who are sick, but I do know it's very contagious. I wouldn't be letting anyone who is sick in to the house, and I'd probably stay away from their family too, just in case.
    My DD is 20 months old and seeing her so sick was heartbreaking, I would imagine someone younger would be even worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    If they have stopped vomitting etc now I think you will be ok for the weekend

In a galaxy far far away....
    The baby is still sick at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A few weeks ago my family all had gastro. It is so so contagious. Even after vomiting had stopped my boys both had diarrhea for days. I did everything to contain it but both my husband and I got it. We went to my MIL's house a few days after I thought it was finished and was so very careful with washing hands after changing nappies etc. but within 24-48 hours every person in their household got it too. Including my BIL's bub. I felt terrible so... In my opinion I would not risk going. It's so catchy and at 5 months a baby has almost zero immunity still. Of course they would not intentionally pass it onto u or bub but it's easily done and they may not even realise they are carrying the silly bug yet. Hope u or bub doesn't get it. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire86 View Post
    The baby is still sick at the moment
    I definitely would not go if this is the case.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have always been told that gastro is contagious for atleast 48 hours after symptoms have completely dissapeared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I always heard it was 48 hours after symptoms have stopped. So if the baby stops vomiting/pooping tomorrow it should be okay.

If you breastfeed this should give your baby some resistance to the bug.

I don't know, if others have caught it off this baby I'd be a bit reluctant to go with such a young baby - eeeep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. I would feel terrible if my little one came down with it. I just don't have a good feeling about going. Mother's intuition and all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the worry would also be if other family members have been visiting the sick baby, like you said, and might have also caught it, they might have the gastro but not yet know it (but still be contagious)???
    Last year, in the space of a week I had the most awful gastro, as did DH, DD (who spewed on the cat) my mum and my nan (poor thing she's 94!). I'm so scared of it now. I never even had contact with my nan during that time, she got it from DD who had been in contact with us but not yet sick when she saw nan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be concerned about the baby that is currently sick- its generally contagious for up to 48hrs post the cessation of symptoms...however the baby's family members will prob catch it and they would be contagious.