+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Heart Murmur detected at 6weeks...should I be concerned?

Hi Everyone,

I have just come from my DS's 6week check with his pead who found a heart murmur. He told us not to worry ourselves about it atm, but it will need to be checked in 3months time. My DS arrived just over 5weeks early, so I guess that may make his higher risk for these type of things, but there is no family history of heart problems and nothing adverse was ever found on his pregnancy ultrasounds.

If there is a problem, what symptoms should I be on the lookout for? He does breath funny after feeds, but not every time and occasionally has bluish lips, but I put that down to wind. I am not too concerned at the moment as I know most murmurs are innocent and disappear on their own, just want to be prepared...

TIA x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD2 was diagnosed with a heart murmer at 2wks old.
    we got a referral for an echogram which she had the following week. her hole was less than 2mm in width so deemed not a big issue and was told it would close by the time she was 12mths.
    she had the echogram repeated at 13mths and as predicted the hole gad closed up by itself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 had a heart murmur diagnosed at her 3 day check up. Pead checked for it at 6 week check up, and said it was an innocent heart murmur and nothing to worry about.

She still gets it picked up occasionally now, when she is sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ds2 had a murmur detected at about 8 weeks I think. He had some tests done at 4 months and they found a problem with the valve, but he hasn't had surgery or anything yet and appears to be a very healthy little boy.

Most murmurs are innocent. Did the paed seem concerned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for your feedback, I am glad that your LO’s are all ok. I am sure that if our Pead were really concerned he would he referred us straight to the cardiologist rather than wait 3months. He did say however that he was hoping it would “close on its own”, which makes me think he suspects a VSD, rather than just an innocent murmur. Fingers crossed it is nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 had a heart murmur picked up at the 6 week check. We were referred to have a echo with a Paed Cardiologist. Most are innocent though. Ours was not so innocent, but in the words of our Cardio, it's the best possible abnormality to have without having a perfect heart. The main valve that flows into the body is alot thicker than what it should be. He believes as it grows it should rectify itself and we are still on watch. We just had a check in December at 2.5 years old and there's been no change. We have another check when she's 5.

Goodluck with your bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my daughter had a heart murmur detected at 10 mths. she had a PDA which was repaired when she was 13mths old. i know a lot of parents whose bubs have had murmur and they turned out just fine. if there is a problem a vsd is one of many things it could be. i have three heart kids so i have a little experience with cardios.
    it is completely normal for babies to have murmurs at 6 weeks, it is common for babies up to a yr to have a murmur. and most of them are innocent. if you want to ask any more questions pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has an innocent murmur which was picked up at birth. The Paed said it was nothing to worry about but I requested to have an Echo for peace of mind. However my DS wasn't so lucky. He had heart surgery at 3 days old. He had Critical Pulmonary Valve Stenosis with the worst possible scenario. His surgery went great and now he has regurlar check ups with a Cardiologist.

If your Paed was worried then I would think he would have sent you for an Echo. You can always request to have one done for peace of mind.

I was told to keep a look out for blue lips that last for long periods of time. My son does breath heavy but that is due to large Adenoids.

As everyone has said most murmurs are innocent and do disappear on their own. I wish you good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was 7 weeks when a heart murmur was detected. My GP told me it would probably be nothing but referred me anyway. We saw a cardiologist at the children's' hospital on Friday and she has a serious heart defect and will required open heart surgery later in the year. I don't mean to alarm you (what my daughter has is very rare) but I'd be asking for an ECHO just to rule out anything serious. It's non-invasive, so I don't see why the doctor wouldn't suggest having it done so you know exactly what's going on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    3InaTub, MumTolzj and 1Babymama - thank you for sharing your stories and I am so happy to hear that your LO's are doing well.

Vesper - I am sorry to hear about your DD and I will keep her in my thoughts. I hope her surgery goes well and wish her a speedy recovery

Did any of your LO's show any symptoms of having a problem? DS just had a very scary breathing episode and I have just put a call into his Pead and am waiting for a call back. He was in the car on our way home and started gasping for breath, taking very shallow breaths and making grunting noises with each breath. I pulled over and had to give him a few good whacks on the back to get him to take in a proper breath. Not sure what is going on with him