+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Threatened preterm labour.. When was your bub born?

I spent 2 nights in hospital over the weekend with threatened labour.. Im 32+4 today. Basically was having little contractions (the red flag for me was that they were painful unlike the BH I've been having for weeks, and they were very regular) and my mum said that was exactly how she felt before her waters broke with me at 33 weeks (by then obs too late for them to do anything). Bubs head was right down there last week at my scan so we knew he might be getting ready. Was given the tablets to stop me going into full labour and steroids because they think he has a pretty good chance of being born soon. The ob said if I hadn't come in when I did he was pretty sure we'd have a very tiny bub by now.

I'm home on bedrest and my ob took me off the meds because they caused my blood pressure to play up a lot which he said could be worse for bub than being born now. Still having BH type contractions but with no pain, have to go back if I have any pain.

Has anyone else had threatened labour and made it to a decent gestation? If not when was your bub born? When I was leaving all the nurses kept saying they will see me in the next couple of weeks with my bub which makes me a bit nervous.. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little boy was born at 31 weeks and 3 pounds. It was so sudden that there wasn't time for steroids and he had many complications because of his immatrure lungs as well as other things. Even if your baby comes at 34 weeks, you have all the chances in the world that everything will be fine since you've had the steroid injections. At 34 weeks baby will probably be around 2500g. You could encounter dramas with temperature control, feeding and jaundice but you will get through these problems one step at a time. Baby may need to stay in NICU for a few weeks until everything is going well. I found the emotional journey the most difficult. Missing the last portion of my pregnancy, missing out on holding my baby for weeks, leaving the hospital without him, going shopping and seeing all the other mums with their newborns. That kind of thing. And of course, seeing my baby go through so much. The good news is that these little babies are miraculous fighters and being a premmie mum is awe inspiring. Good luck with everything. Let us know how you go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i did, with DD i went on pre-term labour just around 32, i was in hospital for week and on a patch right up til 35 weeks bub came at 37+3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    My little boy was born at 31 weeks and 3 pounds. It was so sudden that there wasn't time for steroids and he had many complications because of his immatrure lungs as well as other things. Even if your baby comes at 34 weeks, you have all the chances in the world that everything will be fine since you've had the steroid injections. At 34 weeks baby will probably be around 2500g. You could encounter dramas with temperature control, feeding and jaundice but you will get through these problems one step at a time. Baby may need to stay in NICU for a few weeks until everything is going well. I found the emotional journey the most difficult. Missing the last portion of my pregnancy, missing out on holding my baby for weeks, leaving the hospital without him, going shopping and seeing all the other mums with their newborns. That kind of thing. And of course, seeing my baby go through so much. The good news is that these little babies are miraculous fighters and being a premmie mum is awe inspiring. Good luck with everything. Let us know how you go.
    Thanks for your reply!! It's amazing just how hard little bubbas fight. I think I will really struggle with the emotional side of things if he does come soon, especially coming home while bub is still in hospital. I am pretty confident that he would be ok if he does come soon but I just don't know how I would cope with everything. I really admire people who go through having prem babies!! Must be tough. Thanks again, hopefully he decides he is comfy inside after all, who knows I could be induced at 42 weeks haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hers&Hers View Post
    i did, with DD i went on pre-term labour just around 32, i was in hospital for week and on a patch right up til 35 weeks bub came at 37+3
    Thanks!! It's so good to hear your DD stuck in there till 37 weeks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd1 was born at 31 weeks as they couldnt stop the labour. She was in nicu and scn for 7 weeks but has no lasting health issues. She is now 5 :-)

I was admitted at 33 +2 with my dd2. I had steroids and nifedipene (the tablets) and labour was stopped. I requested to be discharged after 2 days as we were in hospital 2 hours from home and i had my dd1 at home. They let me but said to take it easy and go straight to hospital if anything changed. I had pretty constant and slightly painful Braxton hicks (i couldnt really sleep through them) until 36 weeks when I felt more pressure than normal so went to hospy for a check up and was 6cm dilated. They broke my water and she was born 45 minutes later. We were only in hospital for 5 days and that was due to low blood sugar which fixed itself after a few decent feeds.

With DS I had painful Braxton hicks from about 14 weeks. I was admitted to hospital about 4 times but was never found to be in active labour as I wasn't dilating (I was about 4-5cm dilated from 28 weeks) so they didn't give me anything to prevent or stop labour. I was told countless times that I wouldn't make it to term and that it was just a matter if time.
    At 39 weeks I went into hospital for another checkup (had been almost weekly since 30 weeks) and was told I was in prelabour and bub was posterior so to come back in the morning and they'd think about breaking my water to put me out of my misery. As I live about 5 minutes from the hospital they said I could come back if things progressed over night. I went home and DS arrived in the back of an ambulance in the hospital car park an hour later.

Just be prepared for any outcome. Bub could come now or be overdue and really there isn't much that can be done, as frustrating as that is :-(

Make sure you have everything ready (your hospital bag, toiletries, etc) and somewhere your partner or support person can find it, as well as a list if other things that you'll need in hospital, ie. Phone charger, camera, purse, spare batteries, snacks, etc. I found that feeling helpless and unprepared made me more worried.

Otherwise, try and relax (yeah right) and good luck when bub does decide to appear :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my little girl at 34 weeks, (via emergency c-section though) and she was in NICU for 3 days then Special care for a few weeks but was home before her due date, and that is with her having to be resuscitated and having IUGR. Prems are fighters for sure!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 32 weeks I was having a terrible nights sleep and then the following morning toddled off to work. By about lunch time I was still having massively bad cramping etc and thought I had better ring the midwives. Well they suggested I come down to the hospital for a routine check.

I get there and they check me and tell me I'm in labour. I was shocked. They gave the the steroids etc and some things to try stop the labour and eventually they got it to stop. I was in hospital for 3 days.

After that my BP went crazy and I was in and out of hospital (I would go for routine checks and then they would hold me hostage because my BP would be up).

Had DD at 38 weeks exactly, labour started about 6 hours before I was meant to be induced lol.

At the point of delivery they closed the ward down to just look after me and I was covered in cables and people coming in and out due to multiple issues. One of which included my 155/115 (0r 110) BP.