+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly the last thing your going to be thinking of is how those in the waiting room are feeling lol.
    I felt the same as you but then came to realise its husbands baby too so his feelings should be taken into consideration ie wanting his mum there. Also by the time youve had the baby you may feel differently and just be so happy you want to share the moment with your closest. Think about it some more, do what you feel. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother booked flexible flights and came 2 days after DD was born. I initially didn't want anyone around until a few weeks after the birth, however DD came 4weeks early in an emergency caesar so mum having those flexi flights ended up a godsend!
    Maybe you can ask your mum & sis to come a few weeks after the birth, once you dh goes back to work and you will need the help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As another poster has mentioned, why not tell your mum and sister that you are only allowed to have one support person at the birth? I believe a lot of hospitals actually have this policy, and I know at my daughter's birth the midwives were very strict about how many people were 'allowed' into the birthing room with me at any one time.

I must admit I was glad I was able to have both DH and my mum with me, as my DH freaked out a couple of times and mum was able to step in and help me. But, I get along really well with my mum and we had spoken about her role beforehand and she 100% agreed that she would do whatever I wanted her to do.

As the other lovely hubbers have already said, this is your birth and your experience so everyone really does have to fit in with you. But I do agree with Sassy - your family are probably just excited for you so try and share the joy with them as much as you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DONT be bullied. giving birth and the days afterwards can be the most anxious and different times. I had someone turn up knowing I was being induced and just turned up to visit... thinking I'd be nice and happy to chat away- totally wrong I left my room with them in it til they had left. If I have any more babies I wont be telling anyone my due date or when I have the baby because I dont want to have to worry about the fact I'm in pain, bleeding aand trying to breastfeed a new bub while entertaining people.
    But being a first time mum you may be shy breastfeeding for awhile etc... so the last thing you will want there is a heap of people. You can definately get aroudn them not being there in the birthing room by saying only one support person is allowed and thats your DP! then maybe suggest an hr visit the next day each while in hospital then no more until yoru home and settled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness. You are the one who is going to give birth - so you decide who you want in there. It would say it is perfectly normal to only have your partner with you during labour. My mum came as soon as we were back in our room and settled in. I couldn't think of anything worse than giving a birth in front of an audience including in laws etc. it is such a personal moment and a personal choice. Don't get guilted into anything you don't want to do. All the best!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP my mother was of the opinion she was flying down to do be in the labour room at the birth of my baby. She was horrified that one of my cousins had given birth without telling her mother she was in labour and that she could come visit now.

I told her I agreed with my cousin - to which she was horrified again!

I told her no. She can be here in town or in the waiting room when I give birth or visit in the hours/days following. I have no problem with that.

My argument is an episode of one born every minute where a young girl needs to go for an emergency C-section and the father of the baby was left in the ward while the new mum and her mum went to surgery. It broke my heart. The only reason he didn't go is because the Grandma of the baby was more vocal than the father of the baby was. It wasn't right!!!

I need space to be comfortable to push, scream, say F*** as often as I please without giving a damn. It's a special time for me and my husband to bond with our baby. And I told my mother that. The labour room is sacred, she can come see me when I've delivered.

She understands that now.

Part of it for my mum is she has to let go of the fact that you're not her little baby anymore and that you're having one of your own. You can actually do this without holding her hand.