+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    i found out last week, that the governement have taken away the majority of funding for special needs children in schools.

And how did i find this out? Because they took away my sons funding.

Our school is maint******, because we cannot afford the special needs school (and there is only one, and it is 50 mins away so we cannot get there) it has 500+ students, 22 of them are special needs.

In kindy my baby was not dx (except the language disorder/ learning disability) this did not qualify for help, he failed his first year of school it was a horrid time for us all, especially my baby.

Year one, he has a dx, he gets funding, he gets an aide in class and attends the school run occupational therapy programme, he excels and passes the year. It was amazing he gained confidence, slef esteem and most of all happyness.

This year has been going good as well. His aide is amazing, they have a great bond, and she keeps an eye on him even when she is not required to do so.

And now the government have decided to rip it away from not only my son, 15 other special needs kids at our school. Only 5 children (1 SN child per 100 students) will recieve funding. Obviously the more severe cases (and we have kids with CP, DS and more at our school, so im at least thankful they will get help) but... What is in store for us? Will we go back to failed grades? No support, emotional, academically, socially? They hafto let go of two of their fulltime aides, the ot programm is getting canned. Basically our fantastic supportive school are getting turned into a school not suitable for diversity.

Thank you government. i hope whatever you use the money that would guarantee my son a CHANCE... For something other than overseas trips, internal investigations over your own pityful disgusting members who cant abide by the law and all the rest.

We are left with the option of an extra speech session and tutoring, a further $120 a fortnight, ontop of the hundreds we already spend, and get nothing back from.

Something is seriously wrong here, is it not?
    I am so sorry this has happened! The distribution of government funds is so warped! I think you should try canvas your local member of parliament. You deserve answers. Gorgeous children are missing out while people choose to stay home, not look for work and receive benefits for their lifestyle choice. Makes me mad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sucks but when a government is so giving like this one budget cuts are bound to happen. No way in hell should it come from your son and others needs. This is where I see a positive in making parents go back to work the millions saved from people being aloud to sty home so long after having kids could be beefing up help for parents of special needs kids, disabled parents, etc rather then being spent on able bodies adults staying home because thy want too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just want to clarify that this is STATE government funding, not federal

My school is losing a teacher 4 days a week next term, and any child who has aide funding under 6k per annum is being completely wiped out, which is all our students who have an aide. I have a student in my class who has aspergers who will no longer have aide time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

My school is losing a teacher 4 days a week next term, and any child who has aide funding under 6k per annum is being completely wiped out, which is all our students who have an aide. I have a student in my class who has aspergers who will no longer have aide time.
    Which state? I'm in Qld.. My son is due to start prep next year

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Wow that's gonna be a huge blow to the children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Which state? I'm in Qld.. My son is due to start prep next year

***Sent from my phone***
    NSW, but don't be surprised if similar happens in Qld with the government that was just recently voted in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm. My plan is to volunteer at my son's school or at a spec ed unit with the idea of then studying to become a teacher aide for sn kids .. Wondering if there will be any jobs! I would do it without pay, but it would be good to do it with pay.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is terrible! And so short sighted. The govt wants fewer people on benefits - well then help children access quality education. All children. Plan for the future. Grrrrr, this makes me so mad, and must be so devastating for all families affected.

Diamond Eyes. I hope there's some kind of turn around on this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey they probably needed the money for some nice art work that looks like trash that costs a million dollars to put on the side of the road. That's what the Canberra state Government thinks is good to use it's money for =\. I think that's ridiculous. I'd be writing letters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That is ridiculous and outrageous. So sorry this has happened