+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breaking a rental lease?

So I have just purchased my 1st home and I still have 6 months on my rental contract what's the best way of getting out of/breaking my lease?
    The contract states either party has to give 30days notice but is that all I have to do?
    Can they have walk thrus for new tenants while I'm still here?
    I have been approved but not sure when to tell RE should I tell them now or wait until settlement?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    28 days notice is only after your lease expires. Contact the agent now and get the ball rolling. You'll have to pay a lease break fee and possibly other costs depending on the agent, and you are liable for rent until new tenants move in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would assume you would have to pay a fee for breaking the lease, to have the property advertised and cover rent until a new tenant is found.
    I would get in touch with your RE sooner rather then later. The quicker a new tenant is found the less it's going to cost you.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I had a bad feeling it may be 30 days after the lease is broken I'm in Victoria.
    I am going over the contract now.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in NSW and the break lease fee is one week's rent plus you have to pay the rent until a new tenant moves in.

The more notice you give the RE, the less it's going to cost you. Do you know when settlement will be on the house?

Congrats by the way on the purchase of your first home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks settlement is supposed to b next week I got a large discount if I could settle within 30 days so it's all been pretty rushed only got approved the end of last week.
    Could they just keep my month in advance and my bond? Combined it's two months rent.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they can just keep that but if they don't find another tenant within that time, you'll still have to keep paying rent until they do

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

sandy cheeks  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bunnyhugs I spoke to RE and they were fine (thought they would crack it lol) I have to pay a percentage (approx 700) to break the lease as well as rent until someone moves in so I'm going to have walk throughs in the late arvo to try and get someone in when I leave.
    Now as well as packing n having boxes piled up I will try and make the place presentable/homely.