+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was about 15 weeks. I seriously contemplated working out how I could factor in a daily flight to make her sleep after that first flight.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I flew Qld to SA and return with DD2 when she was 6 weeks old. I asked to be seated next to an empty seat (great for putting her stuff on) and she slept the whole way (except for one poo explosion, thank goodness for that extra seat!) and I fed her for take offs and landings. They are pretty portable at that age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I think DS was only a few months old. I would have preferred to wait until he was a bit older...I was concerned about him being in close proximity to so many people in an enclosed space, as there was a lot of whooping cough going around at the time.

Anyway, in my experience, the younger a baby is, the easier it is to travel with them. Young babes are usually quite content with sleepy cuddles and milk Make sure you offer a feed at take-off and landing to help with bubs ears, and keep nappies/wipes in a place which is easily accessible.

Definitely pack spare clothes for your baby AND yourself (in case he/she vomits/pooplodes on you).

Also take a baby carrier - it's a lifesaver at the airport when checking in etc, and it's great for settling bub on the plane. We flew for six hours when DS was older (11 months or so) and he would not settle. Popped him in the ergo and walked up and down the aisle a few times and he went out like a light.
    Great advice

DS1 and DS2 were 6 weeks when I travelled Brisbane - Sydney return and DD would have been about 3 months when I travelled with her.
    As others have said, generally the smaller they are the easier they are to take on a plane trip. I find it really difficult once they can walk as they do not want to sit on your lap and for some reason the person in front of me despite knowing I have a child on my lap, recline their seat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbo For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    8 weeks. So easy! She pretty much slept the whole time and just had feeds at take off and landing. It was harder at 5 months when she was a bit more wriggly.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    3 months Brisbane to Sydney, 7 months Sydney - Honolulu. Easy flying while breastfeeding. (Well for me) even my 2. 5 yr was great

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    17 months from Mackay to Adelaide with a stop over in sydney. And ten back again. He was awake just about the whole time, there and back except the Sydney to Adelaide which was at night.

Don't take a pram - huge pain in the butt!!

Lots of little toys. For DS I had a Lego torch, matchbox car, mini doodle board, slinky, worms. Mini pinball. The cardboard coffee cup I had finished drinking out of amused him for a fair chunk of time also

If bubs is walking when u fly, when u need to go to the loo, go to the toilet at the opposite end of the plane. Gives bubs a moment to stretch and run off some energy.

Lots of non messy snacks too ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 weeks Amsterdam to Melbourne, 3.5 months Perth to Amsterdam, 5.5 months Amsterdam to Melbourne. Multiple other domestic flights since. I found it got a bit harder as DS got older. The basinets are gold when bub is small enough to fit in them. I was breastfeeding so any peep and he got the boob, it worked well until he was about 5 months and getting distracted. We were lucky not to have issues with his ears. Change of clothes is a must! We had a pooplosion on one occasion before we even got on the plane. Traveling with a toddler that needs zero stimulation to sleep is a whole other kettle of fish but that all depends on the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We flew our DD from London to NZ when she was 3mo, and again when she was 15mo. MUCH easier the first time. She just fed and slept. We were fortunate enough to reserve a bassinet seat so we could put her down to sleep. When she was older we had so much stuff to pack. Got a few dirty looks from other passengers who were probably she was going to cry a lot, which she didn't. Just make sure bubba is feeding on ascent and descent so their ears are ok. We had no probs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My friend just took her 11 week old from Melbs to London. On her own! Family emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 weeks, sydney to darwin, returned at 8 weeks (on my own for the return).

DS had been 9 flights by the time he was 10 months. He was SO much easier then! lol!

I was generally always given a spare seat next to me, I flew most of the time at night as he slept for most of it as did other passengers so less noise.