+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My grandmother has got Dementia. She started to lose her memory when I was 14 or 15 and slowly got worse from there, 15 years later she is bedridden and has no idea who is there. She used to say "what do we do now" and can't even get that out anymore. I cried the last time I saw her. She is so skinny and frail looking.

I remember when we used to go outside and weed the garden and when she used to bake and cook up a storm. My brother, sister and I used to live with Nanna - she practically brought us up. I love and miss her so much. Even though she's still alive, I miss her so much.

She was the best grandmother ever and would do anything for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE:] I love and miss her so much. Even though she's still alive, I miss her so much.
    [/QUOTE]

This struck my heart strings so much. I used to say that to the staff at the nursing home everytime I visited my Nanna

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I totally get that feeling becca022. My grandmother has already gone despite the fact that she is still breathing. I honestly think it will be a relief when her body dies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    When i was studying my coarse, one of my teachers told us a story about a wife having dementia. She didnt recognise her family or friends. Her husband would visit each day to feed her etc. One of the nurses askd why does he bother and his reply was just because she doesnt know me, doesnt mean i dont know her and i have always kept that at the back of my mind when working.
    This made me cry. I think it's how my Nan must feel - my Grandad has alzheimers. It's a horrible affliction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I totally get that feeling becca022. My grandmother has already gone despite the fact that she is still breathing. I honestly think it will be a relief when her body dies.
    You won't believe how many of us have this thought. I felt sooooo guilty for so long for thinking this way when Grandma was dying that I barely cried at her funeral or the night she died. It's a terrible thought to have but I thought it.

It's very hard for me to remember Grandma before she started going downhill because I was only 8 when Granddad died, Mum reckons Grandma was going before that, but Granddad kept her on track, it was only after he died that everyone realised just how bad Grandma's "memory" had become. She'd put chicken on the stove and not turn it on. Or go for a shower and forget to turn the water off... what alarmed us the most was she forgot which day of the week it was and was off to church on a Wednesday morning... (Grandma was very religious and NEVER missed mass)

I do remember her kindness though. Everyone was welcome at her place. She loved her family and especially all her Grandkids and Greatgrandkids, even welcomed Step-grandchildren as her own and when a long lost son of one of her children found his father there was a massive reunion she hosted. She just welcomed EVERYONE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am really struggling at work today.
    One of my residents can be very lovely but also demanding when i have 14 others to look after all by myself.

He doesnt understand i am still doing morning cares which i wont finish til after lunch most likely as i am all by myself and my float has gone to the other side now. Its literally every 5mins he will push his buzzer and if i leave the buzzer going too long i can get in trouble.

I am cutting my break down so i can get them done as i like to spend that little bit of extra time while i do it and talk about what they did growing up, families etc even though i have heard it all before as i like to make each one feel special.

I wasnt meant to work today so started late which puts me further behind.

I just wanna go home.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nanna was the same lightsaber. Everyone was welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I am really struggling at work today.
    One of my residents can be very lovely but also demanding when i have 14 others to look after all by myself.

He doesnt understand i am still doing morning cares which i wont finish til after lunch most likely as i am all by myself and my float has gone to the other side now. Its literally every 5mins he will push his buzzer and if i leave the buzzer going too long i can get in trouble.

I am cutting my break down so i can get them done as i like to spend that little bit of extra time while i do it and talk about what they did growing up, families etc even though i have heard it all before as i like to make each one feel special.

I wasnt meant to work today so started late which puts me further behind.

I just wanna go home.

You're doing a wonderful job! It's people like you that take the worry out of where my Mum is. You have to look after yourself of course and I understand you wanting to go home... I could never in a million years do your job - even just entering a nursing home is almost too much for me to handle.

I hope the rest of the day goes ok and you get a nice rest later. Blessed are people like you. (and I don't mean that religiously - just can't think of a better way to say it)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsaber View Post
    You won't believe how many of us have this thought. I felt sooooo guilty for so long for thinking this way when Grandma was dying that I barely cried at her funeral or the night she died. It's a terrible thought to have but I thought it.

It's very hard for me to remember Grandma before she started going downhill because I was only 8 when Granddad died, Mum reckons Grandma was going before that, but Granddad kept her on track, it was only after he died that everyone realised just how bad Grandma's "memory" had become. She'd put chicken on the stove and not turn it on. Or go for a shower and forget to turn the water off... what alarmed us the most was she forgot which day of the week it was and was off to church on a Wednesday morning... (Grandma was very religious and NEVER missed mass)

I do remember her kindness though. Everyone was welcome at her place. She loved her family and especially all her Grandkids and Greatgrandkids, even welcomed Step-grandchildren as her own and when a long lost son of one of her children found his father there was a massive reunion she hosted. She just welcomed EVERYONE.

Too right. I've had 'that' thought many times. It pops into my head without warning and then I question myself over it as to why I think that. I think it's natural. My husband always says you'd put an animal down if it had such problems. I'm glad it isn't a legal option for people because imagine making that particular decision!!
    Glad that aspect is out of my hands.
    With Mum, I think my Dad kept her state well hidden as he helped her. I didn't realize what was happening with her mentally until he passed away. It was such a shock when I discovered the truth of her.
    She can be so loving and that is one thing that hasn't altered - she can just look at me so lovingly and it's as pure as it ever was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have finished early as i didnt take a lunch break as there was nobody to relieve me so i technically finished late. All i got from one person was buzz buzz buzz and afternoon staff had to do the cares of one person as i ran out of time as i had a heap of documentation to do which i can get in trouble for not doing.

This afternoon once i get home i am going to be glad to put my feet up once i do the cleaning as i am having a house inspection and no time to clean tomorrow as i start work at 1:30pm and i am on my favourite level. I just hope i get to work with my favourite people. One of them were just given a baby doll and she loves telling me about her baby.

I do love my job but i feel so drained from it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (07-08-2012)