+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    The WC vaccine doesn't cover all strains of WC, so even after vaccinations you need to be careful of sick people being around your kids.
    Yes this is true, not does the full course provide 100% immunity but more like 80%, but you are less likely to get a severe case if vaxxed. It's still the best, and only, protection against whooping cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would get it done at 6 weeks ....and still lay low..whooping cough is bad everywhere at the moment..young and old....it's just not in the papers as much!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Man, I kind of wish I hadn't started this post because it's given me a string of serious panic attacks! I feel like I'm going to be afraid with either outcome - I'll be scared of immunising him at 6wks, but I'll also be scared to wait till 8wks. Worse, my 2yo has come down with what looks like a cold but even though she's had all her shots, I'm still worried about her passing on her illness - whatever it is - to the baby.

I do just want to make this clear, however: This thread was not intended to ignite a debate about whether to immunise or not. And nor do I believe that vaccinations cause autism - I have already stated that I have an anxiety disorder (OCD) which causes me to worry about things that don't trouble other people, and despite being an otherwise educated and intelligent person, the theory that early vaccination might cause autism took root in my mind and I haven't been able to shake it. Mind you, I've also thought at some point that maybe Panadol consumption during pregnancy and exposure to WiFi and electromagnetic fields may be to blame - along with pretty much everything else in the modern age. (God, I sound like a real crackpot...) Despite all of my fears, believe it or not, I'm actually a pretty relaxed parent who doesn't freak out about everything, or germs especially - I'm well aware of the immunity-boosting benefits of a dirty house, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry didn't mean to freak you out!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't lay low. I have to take older siblings to school and kinder. Also OP, your immunity may not have lapsed just because you got WC, you can still get it if immunised, just usually a milder case. I will be getting my soon to be born baby immunised at 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, so here's an update... I just spoke to DS's paed about it and he said that contrary to what one midwife told me, there is actually a lot of research on vaxxing babies at 6wks and in many European countries their immunisation schedule is 6wks, 12wks and 18wks.

He also said the issue is not that the vaxxes are any less safe to administer at 6wks, but rather how effective they are at that young age - apparently the human body needs to be a certain age to create antibodies, so there's no point in vaxxing too early because we just wouldn't respond to it (which is why we don't get vaxxed at birth, apart from Hep B, he said). Interestingly, he also said there are some illnesses the body doesn't become completely immune to until we're 2yo (I think I've paraphrased that correctly).

He said it's all mathematical - the vaxx might only give a 6wk-old baby, say, 60% immunity against WC, whereas an 8wk-old might have 75% protection. However, he said he'd hate to see a 7wk-old get WC when the parents were umming and ahhing over whether to wait till 8wks.

He also said babies are most likely to get WC from "the big people in their lives" so it was even more important to make sure they'd all had their boosters before bub was born.

So, that said, I think I'm going to get DS jabbed at 6wks. Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice - I'm glad no one's actually saying not to immunise at all, because WC - and all the other diseases - sure is nasty.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did 6 weeks with both babies with no side effects at all. I think you are doing the right thing, and it's great that your paed gave you all that info.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have thought you would go by corrected/adjusted age but it seems they follow the normal schedule. I think they are even more at risk of complications from the disease than full term babies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I separate my immunizations. I think it's two injections and an oral imm. I gave DS him one injection at 6 weeks and gave him the 2nd injection + the oral vaccine at 8 weeks. I always separate his vaccines so he doesn't get them all at once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    I separate my immunizations. I think it's two injections and an oral imm. I gave DS him one injection at 6 weeks and gave him the 2nd injection + the oral vaccine at 8 weeks. I always separate his vaccines so he doesn't get them all at once.
    thats a great idea!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (01-06-2012)